A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Okay, so my car started beeping at startup. It's done it twice now. Called the dealership and told

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, so my car started beeping at startup. It's done it twice now. Called the dealership and told

them that I thought it might be a notification for the backup battery needing replaced and they said they had no idea. They also stated that no other owner has brought their car in for this issue.

So has anyone actually gotten this beeping to stop?

It's definitely the alarm system beeping three or four times right after the car is started. My wife was standing next to the car when this happened and she said it was definitely the same beep you here when locking the car (and the alarm arms itself).
Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default calmly get out of the car and step back several hundred feet

IT'S ABOUT TO BLOW UP!!!! j/k Dan....haven't heard of that happening before myself...is there anything in the manual about it?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was going to re-read my manual tonight to find out...

I've read people say it's a notification that your transmitter battery is low or the onstar backup battery is low.

But....

1) I don't lock my car at night, so I don't use my transmitter to unlock the car in the morning, but it could be related to the immobilzer system. If the battery dies in the remote then maybe the immobilizer won't work since it can't get a reading from the FOB?

2) I don't have Onstar, but maybe the backup battery is standard on all cars?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had the same problem. . .

and the dealer told me the same thing.

It's 4 chirps that occur when the car is started. Usually, first thing in the morning.

I've read lots of explanations on this forum as to the possible cause. The once getting the most concensus is that it has to do with the alarm system battery.

On my car, the chirping has stopped. Don't know if that's good or bad.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default question

when your car beeped at startup, did you start it up with the same key? try switching keys...maybe it has something to do with the battery in the key....i'm grasping at straws here, but i'm not sure what else you could do to troubleshoot
Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you replace the battery in your key FOB lately or did you switch keys or

did you at once have someone else drive your car a couple of times with the other remote?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My wife has been driving my car a lot lately...

thus she does use her key (the spare remote), but I've been parking the car at night in the garage using my key. We typically just pull into the driveway when we get home at night because I typically need to pull lawn/garden tools out of the garage or I may need to work in the garage. Thus, I typically park the car in the garage myself each night using my own key.

She's never experienced this beeping before and I've experienced it twice. I'm going to replace my battery and see if it fixes the issue.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More info on the Telematics auxiliary battery...

Telematics System (R) - Emergency Battery Shutoff

Group: 91

Number: 02-03

Date: Apr. 15, 2002
Subject:
Telematics System, Switching Off Emergency Battery

Model(s):

All with Audi Telematics by OnStar(R) 2002-->

Production

Audi Telematics by OnStar(R) is available as an option on all A4, A6 and A8 models beginning with 03.02 production.

Service

Vehicles with Telematics system are equipped with an emergency (back-up) battery that provides auxiliary power to the Telematics control module in the event the vehicle battery goes dead or becomes disconnected.

In order to avoid unnecessary discharge of the Telematics emergency (back-up) battery, it should always be switched off prior to disconnecting the vehicle battery, and switched back on after the vehicle battery is reconnected.

Emergency Battery, switching off/on:

Refer to step-by-step procedure see AESIS - Model appropriate Repair Manual, Communication, Repair Group 91.
Notes:
^ Telematics system description & function information see Audi Telematics by OnStar(R) Self Study Program (SSP) and Audi Telematics by OnStar(R) Owner's Guide.

^ Telematics system repair and OBD information see AESIS - Model appropriate Repair Manual Communication, Repair Groups 01 (A6 & A8 only) and 91.

^ Telematics system OBD functions for A4 models see VAS 5051 tester in mode "Guided Fault Finding".
Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

good thinking
Old 04-11-2005, 05:28 AM

Same problem with my 02 Dan...haven't heard it in about 3 months though. Just went away on its own.

Quick Reply: Okay, so my car started beeping at startup. It's done it twice now. Called the dealership and told