A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Opinions on ECS brake products?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on ECS brake products?

More so their rotors than BBK's (opinions on BBK's still plenty welcome!). I have been wondering if their 2-piece front rotors and ventilated 1-piece rears are worthwhile upgrades to my 3.0Q, in terms of braking distance and wet-weather performance (and perhaps unsprung weight?). Also, anybody knows how well/poorly they wear?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a lot depends on what you are trying to achieve....

if you're just trying to reduce your overall stopping distance then the best bang for you buck is cross-drilled rotors or standard vented discs and then getting some EBC Green Stuff pads or Mintex Red Box pads.

I think the only benefit with the 2-piece rotors is reduction in weight. Personally, it doesn't make much since to me to get them unless you are going all the way with lighter wheels and a big brake upgrade. You sure you want to spend $430/rotor???

Also, upgrading to Stainless Steel brake lines will help too.

If you are going to track your car, then I'd go with a complete big brake upgrade.

A lot depends on what you plan to do and how much you want to spend.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The other goal of the 2 piece rotors is warp resistance; The rings expand & contract uniformly.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How about slotted vs. cross-drilled vs. slotted + cross-drilled?

I've never really understood the benefit/pitfall of those options completely... Would, eg, cross-drilled handle wet weather better slotted?
Old 03-11-2004, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default While that's definitely is a good thing...

I doubt that I would ever be stressing the rotors enough for warping to happen... The only reason I consider 2-piece is for the weight reduction, which I have problems finding hard numbers for (compared their 1-piece rotors).
Old 03-11-2004, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another question, about brake lines and fluid...

This must sound so stupid, but when upgrading brake lines, the brake fluid must necessarily be changed, is that correct?Any recommendations on brake fluid?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Slotted is best performing.

Cross-drilled is mostly for show. Potential for cracking of the rotor always there.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I got the 2 piece floating rotors installed a few weeks ago at ECS...

Living close by to ECS, I got the 2 piece floating rotors installed 2 weeks ago. I chose the slotted rotors to also help in keeping the pads clean and in helping to vent any gas buildup. Along with the new rotors, I also got new pads - Hawk HPS.

Together, the setup is really good over OEM. The lighter weight (thanks to the aluminum hat) is noticeable (a bit) in more responsiveness in takeoffs. When applying the brakes, you can feel it bite more agressively than OEM. Prior to replacement, I had a new set of OEM pads put on with the OEM rotors. I also like the added bonus that I can still use my OEM 16" wheels with these rotors for winter driving.

I haven't been able to run it hard (winter weather), but will be doing so when I go on a road trip to VA in 2 weeks. Definately shorter stopping distances than before.

SS brake lines really won't do much unless you plan to be on the track all the time. You're probably not running it hard enough to worry about thermal expansion of the lines.

Overall, not a bad upgrade to from OEM. You get many of the advantages of a BBK at a fraction of the price.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks! I actually prefer the look of slotted than cross-drilled anyway.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's $430 for a set (both wheels) including the aluminum hats...

If the rotor rings need replacement (warped or other damage), they're $150 each.

Quick Reply: Opinions on ECS brake products?