A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

OT: Paging dan@audicrazy.com - Delphi Roady2 question for you...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You will be happy to hear the answer.....(inside)

I spoke to the technical lead for the Roady2 and he said that the newer antennas were optomized to receive the terrestrial signal along with the satellite signal on the one signal line, thus the removal of one of the connections.

Thus the old style antennas were setup with two individual receivers (smaller antennas inside). It was found that the Satellite reciever could actually pick up the terrestrial signal pretty well. Thus the decision was made to optimize the satellite receiver and remove the terrestrial receiver altogether from the antenna. The benefit is smaller packaging is possible.

Now the information you want to know:
The 1st generation antenna which comes stock on the 2004+ MY's can be modified to fit the new Roady2 very easily. The yellow and green connectors are called Fakra connectors. Thus you can carefully take the plastic housing off the Fakra and then just directly plug it into the Roady2. You must use the Satellite signal (not sure which one) in order for this to work. The good news is that if you accidentally plug the terrestrial line into the Roady2 it just won't work since the power signal for the antenna (booster unit) is on the satellite signal line. So, just try each line with the roady2 powered on and which ever line produces a signal will be the correct line!

Hope this helps! Can't wait to hear if you get it to work. Looks like you may need an extension cable since the antenna lines look pretty short.<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FrxmCtzEZSj/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&amp;c=18&amp;g=177750&amp;I=209XM EXT50&amp;o=p&amp;a=0&amp;cc=01&amp;avf=N&amp;sear ch=">50ft Terk extension cable!!!! Holy cow! Maybe terk will custom make a shorter
Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Thank you for looking into that!

I just picked up that Terk 50ft. extension cable for the house, so I'll see how it works with a Roady2. May have to "engineer" a way to keep the extension connected to the antenna lead, but you confirmed that the Home Extension cable will work, which is what I need to hear!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default actually I'm not sure if that cable works with the Roady2, but since it's the single line it should

right? I've only owned the dual line antenna for XM and Sirius. BTW, that new Roady2 looks pretty cool (small and compact).
Old 07-22-2004, 02:03 PM

Default And the red backlight is almost a dead on match! The silver case will match the US trim well too!

A kid at BestBuy told me that the home extension cable end will fit the Roady/Roady2, but my concern was the other end at the OEM connector. Raining here right now or I would have done a test fit already...
Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Use your employee discount and get one! ;-)
Old 07-22-2004, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ya, I'm waiting for that.....they don't offer one yet
Old 07-23-2004, 08:32 AM

Default Well, it kind of works...

The home style connector has a tension ring and a grove to hold the two connectors together. The Farka connector uses the housing to latch the two together. So... the extension cable can potentially slip apart from the antenna lead in the trunk but it should stay put with a couple of zip ties...

I think I am going to determine which lead is the SAT lead and remove the corresponding male connector from the old SkyFi cradle and solder the leads of the extnsion cable into it. that way it will lock and I can shorten the length to boot!

Thanks again Dan!
Old 07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default awesome...

Ya I forgot to tell you that. He did mention that there would be no way to keep it latched on. Oops, sorry about that. You sure you want a 50ft cable? See if Terk can cut you a shorter cable. I know you'll loose some signal power over that long cable, but it might be negligable.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Well, it quit raining so I could test our theories...

This just gets to be more of a PIA! I took my SKyFi home cradle out to the car and used the 50' home extension to plug into the home cradle and one of the leads of my sharkfin antenna. Well, the SAT should have received a signal and the TER should have been dead, right? Wrong! When I plugged in the SAT lead, the SkyFi said NO SIGNAL. I switched in the TER line and the SkyFi had 2-3 bars signal strength! To my knowledge, Evansville, IN doesn't have a terrestrial repeater either. Grrrrr... I don't want to go through the expense or trouble of hooking up a Roady2 and get out in the boonies and have it lose signal. That's the whole point of getting XM!

I'm now considering buying a new car cradle for my SkyFi, but XMFan doesn't have the old two-lead cradles anymore...

And, yes, I can always use the micro that comes with the Roady2 kit on the rear deck...
Old 07-23-2004, 09:32 AM

If it worked, I would cut the cable length down...

Quick Reply: OT: Paging dan@audicrazy.com - Delphi Roady2 question for you...