A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

oww, my head...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oww, my head...

getting a p0501 code after replacing engine speed sensor...
Here are my symptoms: while driving-when coming to a stop the engine will die, and then depending on the mood, may or may not start again at least until it sits for a while. It starts no problem first try for each day, but after running fro a while when I shut it off it may or may not. Occasionally it will crank but not start... any help here?
Also getting p0221, p0121, p0322
Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Try a throttle body allignment first. It sounds like your throttle position sensor(TPS) is shot or not sending the proper signal.To do a throttle body allignment follow these instructions.
1. Put in key and turn to on position(do not start the car)
2.Push the gas peddle ALL the way down and hold for three seconds.
3. turn the key all the way back but do not remove.
4.release the gas peddle and wait 2 minutes
5.remove the key then put it back in and start the car

This sounds odd but it recalibrates the drive by wire components. It is a long shot in this case but it is free and could possibly be your fix. If this fails, then you TPS may need to be replaced.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That wasn't quite the answer I was expecting...But you know, it actually worked - temporarily. But the lights the EPC, check engine, and traction control lights kept coming back in weird sequence, so I had to take it to the dealer.
After waiting 2 hours they let me know that the codes they were pulling were not a result of the components the codes were indicating, so I have an electrical problem which they needed more time to find. Ever heard of this? Any idea where the problem might be? It is affecting my acceleration, idle, not allowing my cruise control to work, giving me "TSP 1&2 (p0221, p0121)" and p0322 (ignition dash distributor engine speed circuit speed no signal)
Old 11-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The fact that the throttle body recalibration worked, even temporarily, would have me checking the TPS,all drive by wire connections,fuses and relays. All of the codes you are quoting, as well as the problems you are experiencing fit with a bad TPS. Worst case would be a failing ECU($$$)