A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Paging diagnosticator1 or anyone else that can help (vibration issues @ high gear, low rpm)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paging diagnosticator1 or anyone else that can help (vibration issues @ high gear, low rpm)...

Ever since I installed the K04 I've been getting vibration/shudder when going into boost (anything more than 0 on teh boost gauge) between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms while in 4th and 5th. Fine when keeping the rpms constant (cruising), but at the slightest hint of acceleration the whole car vibrates like crazy and gets progressively worse as the boost builds up.

Before you tell me to stop lugging the engine and downshift, I do not think that the engine is being lugged at 2.5K rpm in 4th gear. Yes it's not as powerful at that rpm as it is at 4K, but the car still should accelerate smoothly.

I've STFA and came across many posts outlining this issue when people just began chipping their cars. At that time the consensus was that it was the OEM clutch being unable to handle the extra torque that a chip (or in my case the K04) produces.

More recent posts have hinted that once the OEM clutch is replaced, the vibration dissapears. Some posts also suggested upgrading the soft OEM engine mounts to something a bit stiffer (B5 S4/RS4 mounts).

Recently I've installed a new SB OFE SS clutch reusing my OEM flywheel in hopes that this issue will dissapear. Unfortunately it's still there.

I'm now planning to get the B5 S4 engine mounts installed next week, but knowing my luck, it probably will not help.

Any thoughts? Perhaps I should've replaced my OEM flywheel with a new unit (my mechanic did say however that is was perfectly fine and didn't even need to be machined)?

Please help, this vibration is killing all the joy of driving the car :-((((
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default As I recall, you went from stock to K-04 directly, right?.....

The K-04, as do all turbos, responds to the load on the engine. So, at light load loww boost acceleration, there is equal torque reaction loads on the engine mounts that existed with the OEM turbo. Something else is going on. I don't think it's the mounts. Unless somehow one or more mounts are damaged.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default These symptoms are often caused by one or several bad CV joints, or the universal..

joints in the drive shaft. Also check the oil in the front and rear diffs, and the center diff for metal particles.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yup I went directly to the K04. I'm guessing that even if all I got was a chip, the issue...

would've been present.

There however people that reported that an aftermarket clutch fixed the problem (initialA4 and JetJockey).
Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

I'll make sure to relay that info to my mechanic. Anything else?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It could be the clutch still. If the CVs and drive shaft universals are verified good, and the

diffs are OK, then the only thing it could be is the clutch. The shudder and vibration is the failure to transmit drive torque smoothly and or continuously.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Great explanation. Could it be the transmission mounts?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the clutch issue.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it did not exhibit any signs of this prob before the K-04 was installed, was it present...

the first time the car was run with the new turbo? In not, the shudder/vibration must be a result of the increased torque output, coincidentally resulting in a drive line fault.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd, could be warped

put the car in 5th at about 30-35 and floor it, if the revs move erratically then it's your clutch.

Quick Reply: Paging diagnosticator1 or anyone else that can help (vibration issues @ high gear, low rpm)...