A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

To people who paid so little over invoice: Did you have trade-in or what was your finance plan like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To people who paid so little over invoice: Did you have trade-in or what was your finance plan like?

I read these $300 to $600 over invoice purchase numbers and I can't help but wonder, which Audi dealer makes such a deal?

I thought $1480 over invoice was a fair deal and I'm hoping not to get screwed in the F&I office once our car gets here (I probably won't given our credit rating and being recent college grads).

So all those people who got their new cars for less than $1000 over invoice, I'd like to know if:

- Were there any prep fees or other miscellaneous fees added to your invoice/final price?
- Did you buy any dealer extras (tint,life insurance,VIN etch,extended warranty,etc.) ?
- Did you get a higher rate than the lowest promotional interest rate that was in effect at the time of purchase?
- Did you have any trade-in?
- If you leased was your cap value higher than your promised price and down payment would have indicated? (this one is tricky, with lease a lot of people look at the monthly payment at the end and get screwed)

If you answered yes to any of the above questions chances are you didn't pay what you thought you paid in dealer profit.

If you paid cash or did your own financing and you didn't buy any extras with no trade-in and you still got $300 over invoice, I'd love to hear it!
Old 03-26-2003, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default life insurance?

I didn't get offered that option. Do they really have that?
Old 03-26-2003, 06:28 AM

I had a trade-in, which allowed for future profit for the dealer.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:29 AM

Default Re: To people who paid

Look just tell your sales man what you will pay and have a little patience. Dealers would rather make a dollar than loose business.($100 over)
Old 03-26-2003, 06:36 AM

Default my answers (more)

answered in the order you asked.

-they tried to charge me a $250 prep fee, but I said that should be included in the invoice. In my opinion new cars are suppose to come detailed and ready to drive, so no way in hell was I paying a prep fee. It took the sales rep twice with the sales manager to include it. The final price not including tax and tags was $300 over invoice.

-I only bought what was on the car from the factory. The dealer makes a TON when you add stuff to the car. Also just to note I didn't order my car, I searched until I found one that I liked. You can't be really picky when you want to save money. You have to take whats on the lot. I also made it sound like I didn't want the Bose or Xenon. I kept saying that it didn't matter to me about those options and they were raising the invoice by a thousand dollars.

-I financed through my credit union. the 1.9% was lower but I was able to take my loaner for a longer duration through my credit union.

-No trade in, cash deal. I already had the financing in place before I walked in the door so I could lock in the price if they were willing.

-NEVER LEASE! you are throwing your money out the window. The only time to lease is if you barely drive your car and want, keyword "want" a new car every so many years. But if you put so little miles on your car it would be cheaper to actually rent a car from say Enterprise Rent-a-car. In reality though there is no need to lease a car.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

a cash deal is key... never trade in... taking a car off the lot makes a huge difference too.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stop whining like a little girl...you already ordered the car.

You already ordered the car...stop whining and complaining. It makes you sound like a little girl. Besides, why stress over a few percentage points when those poor Europeans are paying 30-40% more than we are here in the states. Just shutup and drive.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: To people who paid so little over invoice: Did you have trade-in or what was your finance plan l

For my 2002 1.8TQM with sunroof, cold weather, premium, 16" wheels in July 2002, I paid $500 over invoice, then got a $600 (i think) customer loyalty discount. I refused to pay any dealer extras (document fees, prep fees, etc.), and got 2.9% financing, with $2000 down. The payment worked out to $523 over 60 months.

They offered me $3000 for my 1990 BMW 735iL in perfect shape, so I told them to stuff it and sold it myself for $9000.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:00 AM

Default special order

My avant 6spd was also a special order, there is no extra special fee.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:01 AM

Default Never lease?: That's a joke.

Leasing is the way to go. If you like new cars and want to get a new car every 2-3 years you are much better off leasing, regardless of miles. With the depreciation associated with the first 2 years of a "newer" car, you aren't building any equity and get screwed when you want to get rid of a 2-year old car. Leasing allows you to pay smaller monthly payments and upgrade all the time.

Quick Reply: To people who paid so little over invoice: Did you have trade-in or what was your finance plan like?