A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Philips HID conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Philips HID conversion kit

Does anyone have experience with this conversion kit? I've read Philips is the one that makes the Audi OEM HIDs. So I was thinking because of this there might be less of a chance of getting the warning lights. I have the stock H7 halogens. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. I've searched the forum history but the Philips was never talked about. Thanks everybody!!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by REDixon87
Does anyone have experience with this conversion kit? I've read Philips is the one that makes the Audi OEM HIDs. So I was thinking because of this there might be less of a chance of getting the warning lights. I have the stock H7 halogens. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. I've searched the forum history but the Philips was never talked about. Thanks everybody!!

The warning lights can be bypassed with the cancelers. Every company should sell them with their kits because they know people run into the same problem.

DDMtuning is also another place that people go to. I've also been recommended to VVME. I'm currently in a toss up with who I want to go with. Also, sonictuning from the Zine should be able to help you out. They beat DDMtuning and VVME's prices by a bit.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Someone also recommended Retro-Solutions..? They have a great price for their conversion kit but the site look really unprofessional.. The Philips makes claims on their website to not cause the warning lights by not interfering with the electronics under the hood. I know placement of the ballasts is key but I was just wondering if others had used the Philips kit.

Heres the website:
http://www.philipsxenon.com/audi-xen...philips-p-1220
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Someone also recommended Retro-Solutions..? They have a great price for their conversion kit but the site look really unprofessional.. The Philips makes claims on their website to not cause the warning lights by not interfering with the electronics under the hood. I know placement of the ballasts is key but I was just wondering if others had used the Philips kit.

Heres the website:
http://www.philipsxenon.com/audi-xen...philips-p-1220
Ya sorry, I'm not gonna pay 269.00 for a kit that I can get for 60 shipped and KNOW it's going to do the same thing. Whats the point in that?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well what are your recommendations then..thats what Im really after..
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well what are your recommendations then..thats what Im really after..

Posted 2 companies a few posts down. I made a purchase yesterday from DDM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Been reading a lot on the Internet about choosing between 55w or 35w for DDM. Which would be better/error code free? Its so cheap its hard not to go with them. Should I go for the 55w since that is what my halogen bulbs run at? I was gonna get the DDM slim line ballasts with the 55w H7 5000k bulbs. Is this a good recommendation? I was also going to purchase the error eliminator, HID harness, and adaptor cables. Are all these necessary?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recently installed the phillips kit in my b6 a4 and am very happy with it. I did get the 6000k 35 watt bulbs and they are very bright and the beam pattern seems to be very good. I did have a set of Mtech hid's in the car and lasted about 6 months for which i think i paid 300 bucks and they weren't nearly as bright as the phillips. There are lots of other kits out there but i don't know if i would chance it with them. You might have great luck, or you might get stuck trying to drive home the back way with your parking lights.

i can send a pic if you want.

ss
Old 09-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where did you purchase yours from? A pic would be great!! Also where does it say yours are made on the box? I've read there are some knock-offs from China that look the same as the real thing. Thanks for the reply
Old 09-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where did you purchase yours from? A pic would be great!! Also where does it say yours are made on the box? I've read there are some knock-offs from China that look the same as the real thing. Thanks for the reply

DDM tuning is a legit BMW parts company. I've heard mixed reviews from them. 7/10 people I've talked to said they're great. The others said theirs went out <6 months. Am I going to be upset if a bulb goes out in 6 months? No... I paid 60 shipped to my doorstep for a kit that I know is going to do what it's designed to do. I would never in a million years even if I had money to blow spend 260$ on a kit I can get for $200 less. Regardless if every person in the world told me Phillips is the way to go. Products are hit or miss. Newegg ships DOA products all the time, does that stop people from buying computer parts from them? No.. they return it and get a new one. Same thing here. If it doesn't work, they'll send me a new one. Besides, a new H7 bulb is 10$. I pay less for an HID bulb than the freakin halogen bulb from AAP. 55w kits are much more powerful, and will "wash out" the color instead of the 35w kit. You don't need the harnesses. Those are designed for american cars and older european cars that are not "plug and play". Just buy the kit, and the cancelers and be done with it. I'll get my hopefully saturday/monday and will be installing them next week. I'll let you know how it goes, as well as provide pictures.

Look, I know a lot of people think that since Philips is a "euro" company, and our cars should only receive euro parts, that doing a kit from anyone but Philips is a big no-no. Here's how I look at it. I'm a broke *** college student who wants to get better visibility from the stock halogen housings. For $60.00 shipped, I think it will be sufficient. If you choose to go with the Philips kit, so be it. It's your money, and I'm not going to tell you how to spend it. Do what SUITS YOU, not me, or the next guy.

Quick Reply: Philips HID conversion kit