A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Playing tag with BMW 330ci....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playing tag with BMW 330ci....

I spotted this BMW a ways ahead of me getting onto the freeway and decided to go after him - his car was just beckoning to me "let's race", by the way he was trying to get around a car in front of him. I was stuck behind some cars getting on, but as soon as the extra left lane began I got in it and took off. He was stuck behind someone in the fast lane, so I was able to catch up. As I approached, I knew he saw me, and when that car in front of him got out of the way, we both took off. I came up on him at first in 3rd gear (maybe even downshifted to second for a moment... can't recall how fast, maybe down to 60 or less for just a second), then back into 3rd.... I came up fast on him, but I had to let off at first because he wasn't going anywhere with the car in front of him. Then we were both WOT from there on through 3rd, 4th and 5th.... once it opened up and somewhere from about 70 mph, on up to just over 120 mph, I rode his bumper. It was all in fun and the road was clear all around us. I felt like I was an Indy car on the straight away riding the cars bumper. He wasn't going anywhere. Not bad for my pinging machine ; ) I guess the 330c1 has 225hp (not sure what tq it has). Mine isn't "dialed in" at the moment, but not bad for the 215/245tq rating. Even though it was open most the way, I let off at one point because I spotted a helicopter that looked suspicious (BMW didn't notice it and kept going a bit longer). I eventually caught up to him after we slowed it down and we gave each other that; "nice run" nod and hand gesture. I went my way and he went his.

Oh how I wish I had Stage 4
Old 06-01-2004, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nothing like the "nice run" nod, to bring a smile to your face and mutual respect btw car guys.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Nice...

Yeah we need Stage 3 (4) now!!! Just the other night on the highway my car pulled on a 2.7t allroad that had a GIAC chip. I had 100 octane along with Revo programing, the car halls on the freeway!

What's the update on your car? AMS dyno soon? Let me know if you need the Prodiag or Lemmiwinks, brotha.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:05 PM

Default You would have had the edge with him...

If I was on 100 proof and dialed in, I could have done better. I leave it to my skills though ; )

Update? I'm busy working - can't you tell I have a work-timing-need-it-done-right-away-schedule-conflict with getting my car to AMS right now. Hopefully soon. Hoppen said either Prodiag or VAGCOM will work to adjust timing. I want to dyno, then "dial in", and then dyno again to see the results and change.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Sounds good...

And yes, you'll have the edge with the driving skillz!
Old 06-01-2004, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

what problems are you having with your MTM stage 2? did a miss a post about it?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:53 PM

Default No official post yet....

but yes, it's pinging. DLSJ5 used his Prodiag to see what was going on and discovered timing was being retarded 3-11 degrees, intake temps were slightly elevated and boost was 1.2-1.3 Bar and then around .6-.7 with a run from 60 mph in 4th gear. Hoppen is going to adjust the timing and hopefully it will be "dialed in". I wanted to do this at AMS on the MAHA dyno so we could record the results.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default damn, hadn't heard of a problem with MTM till this

i just went MTM Stage 1+ with my Thermal exhaust a couple of weeks ago, and i've been in love. any idea what may have caused this?
Old 06-01-2004, 04:30 PM

Default lol. Leave it to me to be the one person who has a problem with it ; )

I'm the kiss of death to aftermarket.

No idea why though. Hoppen was blaming plugs, gas,.. etc., then finally changed their opinion and realized that the timing was not correct. I think there was one other person with some pinging problems too. Maybe it's not perfectly tested for CA 91 craptane and the temps in SoCal... who knows. It did seem to be more noticeable with increasing abient temps. here though. Other then this set back, it runs very strong - torque is amazing. But it'll run better once it's dialed in properly.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default sadly, gas may be Jersey's only advantage over SoCal

93 octane for me. Good luck getting everything worked out.

Quick Reply: Playing tag with BMW 330ci....