A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Please help... dealer quoted A4 1.8T (stripped) invoice price as different to edmunds etc...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help... dealer quoted A4 1.8T (stripped) invoice price as different to edmunds etc...

On edmunds (and elsewhere on the web) I'm seeing that invoice for a base 1.8Tq (manual) is $24,434 + destination.

The dealer is quoting that the invoice price is actually 25,329 + destination. I've never even seen this figure before (I wonder if he's looking at a different car)

Anyway i'm wondering if edmunds could be wrong - do any of you have the actual invoice figures.

My situation right now is that he's offering 1200 off MSRP which brings me down to 26,310 (including destination). Which I don't think is that great since I tend to see a lot 03's going for around 100 - 500 over invoice. Also the car I want (one with no options what so ever) the dealership has four of them. These cars have been there for ages on the lot.

Am I being unreasonable? I would greatly appriciate any advice. Thanks
Old 08-06-2003, 07:41 AM

Default just ask to see the invoice he is looking at

my dealer showed me his invoice from AoA when i bought my car
Old 08-06-2003, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep I saw my invoice also - salesman wanted to prove the deal I was getting - I always see it
Old 08-06-2003, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my thoughts...

First of all, $1200 off MSRP for a stripped 2003 seems like a very bad deal. The dealer should be begging you to take that car off his hands.

I have never known Edmunds to be wrong. The only thing they are missing is the regional advertising fee that is on the official Audi invoice. However, this is usually around $200, not $900.

Just ask the dealer to show you a copy of the invoice. I have even had dealers fax me invoices at my office. Then compare that to Edmunds. I have a feeling your dealer is full of crap. By asking to see the actual invoice, you are calling his bluff.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thats interesting because she showed me her invoice and it too was a few hundred over edmunds. but

no, you're not being unreasonable for the price you want. Is there another dealer in your area that has the car you want?

You should start by saying you want it for 24,500. When he laughs at you, tell him that's what you want for the car, and you know that he has 4 still sitting there. IF he's still not coming down, tell him you know you can get a better price elsewhere.

I don't know which invoice is correct- edmunds or the one they show you. I'm a bit skeptical about the fact that they're different. So i would DEFINITELY not buy it for anything more than 25,500.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer should have no problem showing you the invoice.

I always did, even if I sold a car for MSRP.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:21 AM

Default I will be asking to see the actual invoice but -

is it common for the invoice to be different to what edmunds says? - If I get shown the invoice and it really is as the dealer said then I will probably have a lot less negotiting room than I had anticipated. I still think 26,310 is way too high for a complete stripper.

I let you know how this goes -thanks
Old 08-06-2003, 08:28 AM
JDB

Yes, common. Edmunds has a lot of content to update
Old 08-06-2003, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The dealer's invoice is the correct one. It's highly illegal to show a false one, and can result in

an immediate closure of the entire dealership while various regulatory agencies investigate. Huge fines can be levied as well, if evidence is found of falsifying documents.

Remember, the internet is just the internet. You can put up anything you want. You can intepret it and believe whichever site suits you best. It may have no bearing on the real world though. Look closely at the edmunds site though, and you'll see a disclaimer indicating that that certain factory fees on the invoice can vary by location. If you are in an urban area where newspaper, TV and radio ads are run, AoA adds 1% of the base invoice as an ad fee. Then you have the $45 port fee ( customs paperwork ). There are a few things like that aren't shown on the internet. They are legit fees since they are part of the cost of the car as indicated by AoA.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

The dealer's invoice is the correct one. It comes straight from AoA. See my post below for details.

Quick Reply: Please help... dealer quoted A4 1.8T (stripped) invoice price as different to edmunds etc...