A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

PLEASE HELP DIVERTER/PRV FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP DIVERTER/PRV FAILURE

Should my diverter valve/PRV valve be failing multiple times? I have replaced the original 2004 diverter/PRV valve with the OEM Replacement and after two days its leaking air out of the side/top portion....is this normal or is there psi buildup somewhere that is causing this to fail? Please advise, thank you

david Lindley
Scottsdale
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by davidlindley
Should my diverter valve/PRV valve be failing multiple times? I have replaced the original 2004 diverter/PRV valve with the OEM Replacement and after two days its leaking air out of the side/top portion....is this normal or is there psi buildup somewhere that is causing this to fail? Please advise, thank you

david Lindley
Scottsdale
I just took another look and noticed something. My PRV valve his constantly blowing by through the top vent hole, when I plug it for about 60 seconds the motor begins to run a tad smoother at idle and then when I let it go I hear a small burp coming from what seems to be the air box and then the rough idling begins again. Thoughts? Anyone? thanks David
Old 04-05-2013, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just took another look and noticed something. My PRV valve his constantly blowing by through the top vent hole, when I plug it for about 60 seconds the motor begins to run a tad smoother at idle and then when I let it go I hear a small burp coming from what seems to be the air box and then the rough idling begins again. Thoughts? Anyone? thanks David
did you install the replacement in correctly?
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default yes installed correctly

Originally Posted by tofast2belast
did you install the replacement in correctly?
So I double checked installation of the OEM replacement PRV and it is indeed installed correctly. The OEM PRV can only go in one way as the inlet and outlet are different sizes and only fit one way.

I have since used starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks and have found none. The engine contines to run rough at idle and hiss through the relief point of the PRV after checking all check valves, and teh entire vacuum system. No Leaks! However there are a few things I have noticed. When I run my AC on high the shaking stops but I think this is just because the compressor is engaging thus putting more tension on the serp and keeping the shaking disguised. My CEL light is still on and I continue to have this rough idle but all other temps are normal. Throwing the 0300-0304 codes and the 0701. The thing is once I installed this PRV it was fine for a few days then it started doing it again. Any chance this was a bunk PRV? Should I buy another one?

Any more advice out there????? Thanks

David Lindley
Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I double checked installation of the OEM replacement PRV and it is indeed installed correctly. The OEM PRV can only go in one way as the inlet and outlet are different sizes and only fit one way.

I have since used starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks and have found none. The engine contines to run rough at idle and hiss through the relief point of the PRV after checking all check valves, and teh entire vacuum system. No Leaks! However there are a few things I have noticed. When I run my AC on high the shaking stops but I think this is just because the compressor is engaging thus putting more tension on the serp and keeping the shaking disguised. My CEL light is still on and I continue to have this rough idle but all other temps are normal. Throwing the 0300-0304 codes and the 0701. The thing is once I installed this PRV it was fine for a few days then it started doing it again. Any chance this was a bunk PRV? Should I buy another one?

Any more advice out there????? Thanks

David Lindley
where are you located? i have an oem diverter valve i can send you if you just pay for shipping.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tofast2belast
where are you located? i have an oem diverter valve i can send you if you just pay for shipping.

Turns out it was the PCV valve and the line coming from the PVC to the top of the intake (zip tied on). So I replaced the PCV valve with a new one and then I put a hose clamp on the other one and we are good to go. Runs like a champ and my CEL already cleared. Thanks!!!!!