A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Potential Dealer Issues (cat replacement)...(not too long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Dealer Issues (cat replacement)...(not too long)

Here's the rundown. I've got 76K miles, and started getting sporatic cat codes about a month ago or so. Finally go it into the dealer Monday. Everyone was on the same page that I'm covered up to 80K. They tell me that they'll run the codes at a cost to me of $120. If it does throw the cat code, then they'll replace free of charge. Here's where the BS starts to come into play. I get the call in the afternoon, telling me that, yes, it is throwing sporatic cat codes. Per Audi policy, they will reset the light and send it home. If it comes on again, they'll replace free. I told them I had four main reservations with that policy, and we'd discuss when I got there.

I show up about ten minutes to close, so the guy I'd been dealing with was already gone. They shuffle me to the check out counter to sign. The note on the ticket states the above. So, I asked four main questions.
1. What happens when the light doesn't come back on until after 80K? What if not until 280K?
2. What if I move away from the area before replacement? Will other dealers uphold this one's findings/promise?
3. What if I fail inspection before replacement? Will they automatically replace?
4. Car is originally a CA car (now live in Dallas). Not sure if it is or not, but if cat is special to CA, will I get a CA cat as replacement so that if I move back to CA, I'll be compliant?

This was all Monday night. The service advisor that I spoke with in person wrote down the questions, copied for both of us, and said that he'd get with the service tech, warranty manager, janitor, receptionist, car washer, etc, etc, ad nauseum, and call me or email me the next day. It's Wednesday night now, and no calls, no emails.

I probably should have left my car, demanding to keep the loaner until all was sorted, but I needed my car for grad school parking, and I've still got another 4K left before I'm completely screwed. Has anyone had this run around? Any insight? Thanks for listening to the long rant. TIA for the help.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sounds like standard procedure to me. no special cat for CA, just ****ty gas
Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 PM

Default This just happened to me. cleared codes and sent my home with car

I'm trying to throw the cat code again bu running it hard
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL that would make the cat run better, however a rear o2 problem would indicate the cat
Old 01-17-2008, 05:20 AM

Default That is standard procedure,,,,

Same thing happened to me. I had a full cat code on the right side and a partial on the left. I paid the diagnosis fee. Several months later the cel came back on. It was the right side cat, it was replaced at no cost to me. About 6 months later the cel was back, the left cat now was throwing a code again. Once again, they replaced at no cost to me. It was explained that as long as it was in the system that the code was originally thrown prior to the 80,ooo miles that the replacement would be ffully covered under warranty. Even if 100,0000, 150,000 etc.. you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default By 2002 (or even sooner), the cats were Federalized. (I also have a CA-original car.)

...and my cats were also throwing codes (and the CEL) recently, at 83K, so I got the big middle finger from a local dealer.

However, after 2 resets, no CELs since.

To answer your other questions:

1) Depends on how magnanimous the dealer is, and how skilled they are on pushing a courtesy post-warranty repair through AoA. From what I understand, AoA has started to get more resistent about it, so it seems dealers will only try to make a case for the most loyal of customers. A big believer of independents, that, obviously, wasn't me.

2) Your records should be in the customer tracking system, which other dealers seem to be able to access. However, save your receipts. As to the behavior of any other potential dealer, see #1.

3) Well, I don't know about Automatically, but if it fails, there's bugger all they can do aside from replacing the cats. (Legally, that is.) There are...'alternatives.'