A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering fluid

I noticed today that my power steering fluid is empty. Couldn't find any info in the owners manual but on the resevoir cap it says Nur G 002000 Mineral Hydrolic Fluid. I'm assuming that the numbers will coordinate with a specific type of fluid that I need to use. I went to wal-mart (because thats the only place open on a sunday evening) and all they had was generic fluid. It didn't have any numbers on it and didn't say anything about mineral hydrolic fluid so I figured it was the wrong stuff. Napa should have what i'm looking for right?

Also how bad is it to be driving with next to no fluid? Not sure how long it's been low but I just started noticing the whining noise a few days ago.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:24 PM

Default a few comments...

A reservoir with no fluid suggests to me that you've got a leak in your power-steering system. Unlike engine oil, power-steering fluid doesn't burn off.

Running a car with low power-steering fluid is tough on both the steering gear assembly and the power-steering pump.

If you let the fluid get too low you'll start to hear the steering grown when you corner left or right.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO Mobil 1 ATF is a better PS fluid than oem, use it.Regular Dexron ATF is ok, regular PS fluid sux
Old 12-10-2006, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As oem Pentosin heats up it thins allowing metal contact & wear, producing even more heat.M1 ATF

is thicker and an ideal PS fluid. ATF is the most common PS fluid used in the automotive industry. Older Audis use it. Check Mobil's website on the applicability of the ATF...it's recommended by them and me. I'm a little tired of the subject, I wrote a few posts on it on B5.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ATF as in automatic transmission fluid?

You're saying I should use transmission fluid rather than power steering fluid? I don't know a whole lot about cars but that doesn't seem right to me.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so why does it say specifically to use only mineral hydrolic fluid?
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just had my system redone and the shop used the Pentosyn Power Steering fluid

The wrong fluid (aka cheap **** from wal-mart) will ruin the seals in the system and will end up causing more problems with the steering rack down the road. After talking to several folks it appears the Pentosyn fluid is the best for our power steering pump and rack. The rack is $1k+ to replace and the pump is $350+ to replace. there is no reason to skimp on fluid. Get it done with the right stuff and call it a day.

As for a leak, mine was leaking where the power steering cooler line goes under the car. i had a rip in the line. But apparently the clamps can start to leak too.<ul><li><a href="http://217.237.184.77/shop_produkt.php?c=214,228&amp;pid=668&amp;vid=">P entosin Power Steering fluid.</a></li></ul>
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep. The most common PS fluid is Dexron ATF. Buy 2q and a turkey baster to replace some after mixing

Fill, drive, empty, fill, drive etc until you drop from exhaustion. There is a method to directly flush new fluid into the system for 100% replacement, but just do the turkey method for now, getting the nice thick M1 ATF in there that won't burn-off and will run cool. It is thicker and has more anti-friction additives than Pentosin oem fluid. DON'T use regular PS it is **** and you will really have to flush it out then. Dealer charges will be $200 bucks by the time it's done. M1 ATF is better than Pentosin for our system, check their website for applicability of you want to. NOTHING is worse for your steering system seals and pump than ultra-hot fluid, which is what you've got with the current situation. MaxLife PS fluid MIGHT be ok, but M1 ATF is more like oem, but thicker and more additives. Trust me.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ask Audi, and ask them why people's systems run dry on that thin crap. When Audi changed from ATF to

Pentosin, it was the exact same parts, pump and rack &lt;the same&gt; but Audi went to Pentosin mid-year 1992. Pentosin is about 1/2 as thick, better in cold than reg ATF, but Mobil 1 ATF is good in cold and a synthetic PAO base like Pentosin, just thicker and more anti-wear and anti-friction additives. Pentosin was recently upgraded, more anti-foam agent (silicone) ....supposedly, but I bet they thickened it too. I am using M1 ATF in a few Pentosin cars. Best part is you can get it at WalMart on a sunday night rather than driving on a dry system and killing it to the tune of $2000. Too good to be true?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default it gets super cold here...

it is not uncommon for temps to drop below zero at night. Still remcommend the mobil 1 atf?

Quick Reply: power steering fluid