A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Perhaps Euro-market cars spec 7.1, pretty pointless since...

They DO take Dexron. Are you claiming NO Audi has ever speced Dex or had it on the resevior? Your basing your assumption on one car? That's rich, my 1987 CGT CLEARLY says Dex on the cap. So, as far as you know, 7.1 was used for one year or in Euro spec cars. As far as my shop's use being irrelavent, that's just hilarious as it's my best friend's BOSCH Service Center and he's a 20 year Master Audi Tech. My reciept for a PS flush years ago in another CGT, an '86 -says right on it...2 quarts of ATF....but he is wrong and you are right...right? Before you answer, remember Dex is the most common PSF in use, unless you contest that too.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so basically what you're saying is that I would be better off using pentosin?

I definitely don't plan on running the system dry. I've put about three miles on the car since i've realized the problem. The next place I drive it to will be an auto parts store so I can fill it up.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thats exactly what happened with mine.

I noticed a groaning noice a few days ago and kindof just wrote it off since this is my first audi and i've only had it for about two weeks.

Today I pulled into the parking lot at work and my boss noticed the sound. The first thing he said to me was "you should check your power steering fluid". Sure enough I check it and it's might as well have been completely empty.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depends, will it leak out or burn off? That's not better in my book. If in warranty, Audi's problem.

I have a friend with a leaking system, he thinks Royal Purple is great so he uses RP PSF. It solved the problem. So, spend $20 for some Pentosin and still have the EXACT same problem or try Mobil 1 and see how that works. Your choice.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default not under warrenty...

honestly i'm not sure whats up with my car. I don't know if it was almost dry when I bought the car or if I sprang a leak in the 500 miles that i've owned it or if it's been slowly leaking for a while or if it all just burned off...

I think what i'm going to do is stick with the oem pentosin fluid for now and see what happens. I totally respect and appreciate your advice. Cars are not exactly my area of expertise and i'd just rather keep this one as close to stock as possible.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default pentosin... where to buy?

Thank you everybody for your advice. It sounds like the oem pentosin is probably my best choice for power steering fluid.

Now the problem is finding the stuff. We have two auto parts stores here in my small and isolated town, napa and carquest. I'm seriously doubting that either one of them will carry it. Taking it to a dealer isn't really an option since the closest one is over three hours away.

What I do know is that I need some sort of power steering fluid ASAP. Can anybody tell me where to get pentosin fluid, and if not what would be a halfway suitable replacement in the meantime while I track some of it down?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default That's really bad that it was dry....

I think you can mess up the power steering pump that way. Did you notice any leaking at all?

Mine just evaporates, but I don't see signs of it leaking
Old 12-10-2006, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Many online sellers, Google for "Pentosin CHF-11S", or see link.

<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentosin-CHF-11S-Hydraulic-Oil-1-Liter_W0QQitemZ5677075041QQcategoryZ88433QQcmdZVie wItem">eBay</a></li></ul>
Old 12-11-2006, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are making too many assumptions. My car is a US Spec.

Think about how many warranty claims had Audi had for PS system. If they thought plane ATF was better why not put it in the cars at first place?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My CGT system is 20 years old, original and takes Dexron. I'm glad there has been so much "progress"

Quick Reply: power steering fluid