A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Power Steering Rack Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Rack Leak

I posted a few weeks before about a power steering rack leak that was diagnosed on my car.
Everything started when I started hearing a weird noise every time I would turn the steering wheel one way or another. I checked the fluid level and sure enough it was below minimum. I replenished it but then 2 weeks later it was low again. I had the car checked and I was told that the power steering rack was leaking and that $1300 would fix the problem.
I decided to wait a bit. It's been more than 3 weeks now and the fluid level is solid. No leak, no nothing.
Any ideas what might be the cause of that miraculous auto-healing? Should I still have the power steering rack replaced as suggested by the mechanic?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default depends what happens when a rack does fail - lose all steering ability or...

just lose the power steering. If it's just a loss of the power then I'd say you'd be able to still drive and limp along should it fail. If it were to sieze up and lose steering ability then I'd say look at replacing/repairing it if a problem is found.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 AM

Did you do something to the boots to seal them better when you added fluid?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Did you do something to the boots to seal them better when you added fluid?

I didn't do anything ... the mechanic just poked a small hole to the boot to verify the leak. that's all.
maybe he did something, but he didn't tell me.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Then he probably filled it and replaced the boot (they are cheap). You may be OK now.

I'd keep a look out for it and if it's still OK and no steering issues come up, he should have fixed it. Sounds as if you were low for a short enough time that the rack wasn't damaged.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:19 AM

Or the Audi gods performed a miracle : )
Old 02-07-2007, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The boot doesn't seal the fluid, just keeps dirt out.

I'd trust his recommendation, but maybe you can put it off for a bit, just keep an eye on the fluid. It shouldn't come pouring out...
Old 02-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Default After my post, I spoke to a guy at work and realized my error...m...

I'm not sure what he could have done. As you note, the rack has a seal, and then the boot keeps dirt out.

If the seal is broken, usually the rack doesn't last long and needs to be replaced (most racks can be rebuilt and when buying one, a core replacement is required).
Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: After my post, I spoke to a guy at work and realized my error...m...

So even the rack was not the problem, it will become pretty soon now that the seal is broken, correct?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM

Default If the seal is broken, the mechanic should have told you that you need a new rack.

From what my colleagues at work were saying, racks aren't reworked on the car when a seal breaks. It might be good to ask him again to clarify what he did and what he thinks is happening.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Rack Leak