A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Power steering return hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just askin.Protocol dictates don't use mechanic for diagnosis & bone them if you want to go back
Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its cool, i would never dick these guys. probably the best german import shop in portland.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default roommate had an interesting idea....

if we cant spot the leak by eye to determine its exact location, he was thinking of jerry-rigging the air compressor to the reservoir/PS hose leaving the reservoir (after draining the res) and blowing it, watch exactly where the fluid comes out. to me this sounds pretty scary, not sure exactly about this kind of thing. i imagine its not good for the system.

i will probably take the car to the shop if i cannot see exactly where the leak is and have them do it. i didnt have time to put the car up last night and get under to take a look, buuuttt it does look like the hose is wet towards the rack end. hopefully tonight i will ahve time to climb under there and see exactly.

BTW, sometimes i really hate all the plastic under the car. it can get annoying for little projects like these.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thats bull, they get paid for their time, some places charge 2 hours to scan a code

MOST of the time diagnosis overlaps repair time and they NEVER charge appropriately.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm talking about something different.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sound like shop is making 9 bucks on part
charging 1hr labor for diag.& repair $100 give or take $30
sounds like a good deal to me
techs are a lot like doctors as far as
continuous education & responsibility, seams doctors don't have comebacks
Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you do replace the hose, the rack will probably need to be unbolted,
But..First remove the firewall gasket where the steering shaft connects..it is under the dash (interior)...and see whether you can get the banjo bolt off from inside the car.

Otherwise..the rack will need to be unmounted; so you can leverage to (add slop..wedge a wood block) the rack up and out a bit toward the driver's side to get at that banjo bolt with a short socket.

The return hose (non-coiled) hose just pulls out from the front...there is a tie wrap connected to the frame that needs to be cut or pulled before you can pull the low pressure line. The new LP hose is fed from the wheel well to the front cooling coil, then reconnected to the rack.

Yes..as with the post above get new crush washers from ecstuning or elsewhere for the banjo bolts.
In fact, get new crush washers for all the banjo bolts...two rack banjos and the power steering pump banjo bolt... You may also find some washers missing from work "done" by previous mechanics.
Piggy back (shipping charges on) an order for oil drain pan washers as well on that order..ask me how I know...drip drip..

I hope this helps:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2795464/page2/

This is also a chance to add a steering line filter (cardone) to the lines to or from the front (second) cooling coil (in front of the condenser).

You are embarking on your taking charge of your own car and maintenance..salute and welcome to the club.
Muddle through this project with tools you have and buying tools on-the-fly, then get yourself a mechanics tool (used snap on, sk or old craftsman..or new Lowes Kobalt) set..then Audi (European) tools like 12 square. torx, etc bits..and a tool storage shed, should you not have a garage.

Last edited by shurur2; 05-15-2017 at 01:37 PM.