A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Premium Leather

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium Leather

I've been talking back and forth with a dealer today about an '04 3.0 tip quattro. I had initially wanted to try to find one with premium leather, but that's proving to be a pretty big limitation. How noticeable is the difference between the premium upgrade and the standard leather interior?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here is my opinion

I factory ordered my B6, and I have every option but the premium leather. I had it on my order form, but my salesman talked me out of it. I don't know why, but he did and I don't have it.

I had the premium leather on my B5 2.8, and honestly I can't really tell the difference. What I was told is on the B6 with the premium leather the only thing you get is the seat backs, door inserts and other non-seating surfaces are leather and not synthetic. My salesman told me the synth stuff will hold up better, if that true or not I bought into it. To this day not quite sure why he talked me out of it, since I didn't really care about the cost. If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't get the power sunshades, rear airbags, and Telematics. I never use them.

I don't think you're really missing anything. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The premium leather or buffalino as they call it seems to be...

made from a thicker hide. I find the thicker leather a little uncomfortable in the winter, that is until the bun-wamers kick in. Like hitec said, they use leather in non-seating surfaces (seat-backs, headreats) as well as door inserts and center armrests. Everyone gets a leather steering wheel and shift ****/boot. Just compare the seating surface to the headrest and I bet you'll hardly notice a difference. The leatherette that audi uses is top notch, which is one example of why our interiors are considered industry benchmarks.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the difference is...

the regular leather looks worn quickly... you will see creases and more grain in short time as compared to the rest of the interior.

the premium buffalo stays looking perfect. my 3 year old 3.0 shows zero wear on the driver's seat. also, keep in mind, I lift myself over the seat bolster when I exit and enter the car. Folks who have a habit of dragging themselves over the bolster tend to ruin anything.

my mother's S4 cabrio silver leather driver's seat looks like poo in 12 months. (yes, my 70 year old mom drives an s4 cab).
Old 10-11-2005, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it depends how you take care of it. My 2yr old 3.0 drivers seat looks brand new

I always condition my seats and I try to take care of them.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Any other durability stories?

Thanks for this information guys. I'll hopefully be keeping this car for 6 years or more, so durability is a concern. Anybody else have any experiences with the durability or lack there of of the non premium seating?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default fwiw

I've never conditioned my seats... just wipe them down with a damp towel, and they look perfect.