A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Price for black/black '02 A4 3.0 Quattro in MA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price for black/black '02 A4 3.0 Quattro in MA?

Hello,

My friend is looking to buy a loaded black on black 6-speed in the MA/NH area. The MSRP is $37 960 and the invoice is $34 457. What do you think he should hold at as an upper range for price? I suggested no more than $36 900 but I'm not sure what the demand for the car is. The one he wants is readily available (i.e. does not have to be shipped).

Thanks,

J
Old 03-12-2002, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What does edmunds.com say ? That is the average for your area. Ask a little lower, but realize

that even if you spend a tiny bit more, you are still in the "average" sale price range.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Price for black/black '02 A4 3.0 Quattro in MA?

36900 is a really really expensive price to pay. i would have to say MA cannot be more expensive than michigan. a recent study i read on carpoint showed that MI is the most expensive place to have a vehicle. i'm currently paying 1000 above invoice to build a car to my specs. this is in ohio. in michigan on the lot, i was offered 1000 over invoice and 1500 if i wanted to order. from all the car searching i did, the most important thing i learned is call around to different dealers through the phone. second, if you really want this car on this lot, you'll have to be good in negotiating. offer him a price, tell him this is what you can pay you for this car, and see where he stands. make sure he knows you can go around to different dealers for audi and even consider different cars. don't EVER let him know that you are in love with this car and this color and you're willing to pay top dollar for the car. salesmen are good, so you have to match them both in what they are thinking and what you can make them think through your comments. go 900-1500 over invoice, no more. it is your money though, so if you want to bust your *** all day and then give it to some dealer because he is good in negotiating, go ahead. flash around some money, and you'll ALWAYS find somebody who wants it. ALWAYS.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:01 AM

Default Re: What does edmunds.com say ? That is the average for your area. Ask a little lower, but realize

forget edmunds.com True Market Value. i found that to be a joke. it's only a few hundred dollars below MSRP. i knocked off a couple thousand at more than one dealer.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It is the average. You can poo-poo it all you want ( edited )

In Ca, it is fairly accurate. Perhaps not enough cars are sold there to make a good sample set ?

Obviously you can always offer as low as you wish. All it takes is time when you offer really low ( not that your pricing seems unreasonable - just in general here ). The dealer can only respond with a counter offer or a handshake of congratulations or goodbye.

Never, ever say "this is my final offer, or I am out of here." If you do get turned down, and no other dealer comes close or has a car, you will be eating crow and probably paying more than originally negotiated. Better to say that you will need to recheck the numbers.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Price for black/black '02 A4 3.0 Quattro in MA?

I ended up with approximately 3.8% over invoice for a car in roughly that same ballpark (just slightly more equipped price-wise). In addition there were about $200 in fees (plates, documentation fee). This was in the Boston area.

Also, my saleslady was willing to cut me a slightly better deal if I bought off the lot (as opposed to a dealer swap, which I ended up doing).
Old 03-12-2002, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Its the dealers bottom line, they aren't going to lose money...

the problem is really knowing how much money they've got into the car.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys!
Old 03-12-2002, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Go for a used s4 instead!
Old 03-12-2002, 11:43 AM
MP
AudiWorld Super User

Default dealers seem to be dealing aggressively on 3.0s around Boston

Particularly on the 6-spd.

I was offered $1k over invoice, and I suspect I could do better. This was in the past 10 days.

Ended up with a 1.8t Avant, which is harder to find at the moment, and dealers were less likely to deal.

I recommend finding a dealer you like (I recommend Rietzl) and trying to buy out of stock vs. ordering.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Price for black/black '02 A4 3.0 Quattro in MA?