A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Quattro problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleswk
First, I am not aware if VAGCOM can log ABS functions. To my knowledge, it is only engine parameters.

Second, since it happens in snowy conditions, I would lean toward "normal" for snowy conditions. I have not had a lot of experience with the Gen IV quattro in snowy conditions (about 4 drives), but it seems reasonable that because we have higher levels of overall vehicle grip capabillity, that when physics takes over and it does go, it does it more "abruptly" and then just as "abruptly" recovers once grip returns. Think of the early 911's; when they snap oversteered, there was no stopping it. Difference for us is that the "system" starts moving torque around to try and recover grip without us doing anything except wondering what is going on. Last winter in the snow, I do vaguely remember this "skidding" feeling, but attributed it to the 6+ inches of snow and running on all-seasons. I drove a Gen II 4000 quattro in a lot of snow and never noticed this, but that is a very different system. I have also driven a Mercedes 4matic in a lot of snow and have noticed some "jerking" in it. Again, that system is quite a bit different as well so not sure I can make any relationships.

Last, the only other thing that I could think of is the torsen center diff is behaving "abruptly" and may need new fluid. When is the last time you changed your tranny fluid?
Thanks for the input.

I just bought the car a couple of months ago so I have no idea when the tranny fluid was changed. I had the level checked the other day and it was low so they topped it off. Judging from everything else on the car, I would say it has never been changed.
What kind of fluid should I put in it? 75W90? Any perticular brand? Is the front and center diff all part of the tranny? I know the rear diff is separate but don't know about the front/center.

It feels too violent for it to be just losing/regaining traction but I could be wrong. Also, it doesn't happend at WOT which is when loss of traction would be even more obvious.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default edl

Originally Posted by wheelmanbg
Quattro problem?
This has been going on for a little while. When driving on slippery roads and/or in bad weather the car will sometimes jerk/jolt like the drivetrain is seizing up. It won't do it under full throttle nor will it do it under no throttle. It only happens with light throttle. It happens at any speed, anywhere from 20 mph to 80 mph, any rpm, any gear.
It's only a split-second jolt and it somewhat feels like the ESP is trying to shut things down; however, turning the ESP off does not cure it.

This started about a month ago. It hadn't done it since I changed the fuel filter but also the roads have been dry. It snowed last night and today it's doing it again. It's not temperature related...

The car also feels like it's wanting to drift sideways when driving on mixed roads (ice/snow/dry). Feels like it's swaying to one side or the other, almost as if the wind is pushing it. I had it aligned and that seemed to resolve this issue.

I have no clue what it could be...

No current codes but I did see a steering angle sensor code a few weeks ago. I had the fluids checked and the tranny was low but it's still doing it after the tranny was topped off.
It's a 2003 A4 Quattro 3.0L 6 speed manual
is a little confusing the way you describing the issue and don't want to make it worst for you
you bought the car 2 months ago, started a month ago and has not done it since.
so in 2 months done it once and never again? what were the conditions that particular day, snow,rain dirt road?
car feels like is drifting but aligment took care of this, ok we are good here. steering angle sensor fault? this should be reset and zero in at aligment.
if is only apparent at rain/snow definitely is temp related
it seems to me that the traction control system is doing waht it suppose to do and you just wandering around thinking there's a problem.
let a qualified person drive the car instead.
on another note ther's no EDL in this particular model, EDL was used in older quattro generations, torsen is used now and works separately from traction control altogether yet they looking for the same goal.
torsen will apply more torque to the wheel with the most traction instead of the wheel slipping.
traction control will slow down the wheel that is slipping (applying brake pressure to the caliper)
one last thing, you not sure what fluid to use, just take it to a dealer to use the proper stuff.
most people make it worst thinking they are genius when it comes to work on cars and end up confusing everybody.
driven a quattro before?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default edl

Quattro problem?
This has been going on for a little while. When driving on slippery roads and/or in bad weather the car will sometimes jerk/jolt like the drivetrain is seizing up. It won't do it under full throttle nor will it do it under no throttle. It only happens with light throttle. It happens at any speed, anywhere from 20 mph to 80 mph, any rpm, any gear.
It's only a split-second jolt and it somewhat feels like the ESP is trying to shut things down; however, turning the ESP off does not cure it.

This started about a month ago. It hadn't done it since I changed the fuel filter but also the roads have been dry. It snowed last night and today it's doing it again. It's not temperature related...

The car also feels like it's wanting to drift sideways when driving on mixed roads (ice/snow/dry). Feels like it's swaying to one side or the other, almost as if the wind is pushing it. I had it aligned and that seemed to resolve this issue.

I have no clue what it could be...

No current codes but I did see a steering angle sensor code a few weeks ago. I had the fluids checked and the tranny was low but it's still doing it after the tranny was topped off.
It's a 2003 A4 Quattro 3.0L 6 speed manual
is a little confusing the way you describing the issue and don't want to make it worst for you
so in 2 months done it once and never again? what were the conditions that particular day, snow,rain dirt road?
car feels like is drifting but aligment took care of this, ok we are good here. steering angle sensor fault? this should be reset and zero in at aligment.
it seems to me that the traction control system is doing waht it suppose to do and you just wandering around thinking there's a problem.
on another note ther's no EDL in this particular model, EDL was used in older quattro generations, torsen is used now and works separately from traction control altogether yet they looking for the same goal.
torsen will apply more torque to the wheel with the most traction instead of the wheel slipping.
traction control will slow down the wheel that is slipping (applying brake pressure to the caliper)
one last thing, you not sure what fluid to use, just take it to a dealer to use the proper stuff.
most people make it worst thinking they are genius when it comes to work on cars and end up confusing everybody.
driven a quattro before?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

OP, I would recommend you use Audi fluid. I have had bad experience not using manufacturer recommended fluid and to my knowledge, Audi only recommends their own fluid. Others may have long term experience with other fluids. Just as a note, there is different fluid for the manual, tip, and rear differential. The torsen unit shares fluid with the main tranny.

s4master, I know you can't believe everything on the internet, but according to the link below, the Gen IV quattro system in our B6's does have EDL. I only post this becuase I like to have a good understanding of how things work. It's my engineering mind...

http://www.awdwiki.com/quattro.html
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

lyle, thanks! I'll get some fluid ordered from the dealer.

Originally Posted by s4master1
driven a quattro before?
I apologize in advance because this will sound more negative than I intend it to.

I bought the car about 2 months ago. It has done this a lot more than just once. There was a period of about a week where it was constantly doing it, then stopped when I changed the fuel filter and the roads were good. A couple of weeks later, it started doing it again once it snowed again. I said it's not temperature related because I had driven it in cold weather (down to -10) with clear roads and never had the problem occur. The issue seems to hapen when there is snow on the roads, NOT when they are clear.

I took it to Firestone to have the alignment done (bought the lifetime alignment package) and it didn't sound like they had ever aligned an Audi before so I'm 90% sure they had no idea or had the tools to reset the sterring angle sensor. Again, I'm not sure if it's related to my issue. I haven't seen the code again.

The jerking feels way too violent to just be the quattro doing it's job, plus it only hapens at light throttle, not WOT. When I was cruising on the Interstate @ 75 mph, it felt like the drivetrain was seizing up for a split second. I can't contribute that to loss of traction but I could be wrong.

I would like to take it to the dealer but the nearest Audi dealer is 4 hours away and their service department isn't open on Saturday or Sunday... so it would be a major PITA for me to do that.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion. Thanks for everyone's inputs so far.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default edl

Originally Posted by lyleswk
OP, I would recommend you use Audi fluid. I have had bad experience not using manufacturer recommended fluid and to my knowledge, Audi only recommends their own fluid. Others may have long term experience with other fluids. Just as a note, there is different fluid for the manual, tip, and rear differential. The torsen unit shares fluid with the main tranny.

s4master, I know you can't believe everything on the internet, but according to the link below, the Gen IV quattro system in our B6's does have EDL. I only post this becuase I like to have a good understanding of how things work. It's my engineering mind...

http://www.awdwiki.com/quattro.html
very well explained statement and appreciated.
however: this is a generic explanation of how traction control works not EDL, the brakes are locking/slowing the wheel with less traction thus taking control over the differential not the other way around. The differential continues to provide torque to the wheel regardless of grip.
only the center (torsen) differential has some control on torque split.
I may be wrong but this is how it was showed to me at Porsche school, remember Porsche developed the traction control system most european cars use today, with the cooperation of other components it helps to keep control.
I do like the fact that you actually researched this instead of just giving opinions like most people here guessing around.
I may be right or may be wrong but definitely learned something with this
Old 01-08-2011, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default traction

lyle, thanks! I'll get some fluid ordered from the dealer.

I apologize in advance because this will sound more negative than I intend it to.

I bought the car about 2 months ago. It has done this a lot more than just once. There was a period of about a week where it was constantly doing it, then stopped when I changed the fuel filter and the roads were good. A couple of weeks later, it started doing it again once it snowed again. I said it's not temperature related because I had driven it in cold weather (down to -10) with clear roads and never had the problem occur. The issue seems to hapen when there is snow on the roads, NOT when they are clear.

I took it to Firestone to have the alignment done (bought the lifetime alignment package) and it didn't sound like they had ever aligned an Audi before so I'm 90% sure they had no idea or had the tools to reset the sterring angle sensor. Again, I'm not sure if it's related to my issue. I haven't seen the code again.

The jerking feels way too violent to just be the quattro doing it's job, plus it only hapens at light throttle, not WOT. When I was cruising on the Interstate @ 75 mph, it felt like the drivetrain was seizing up for a split second. I can't contribute that to loss of traction but I could be wrong.

I would like to take it to the dealer but the nearest Audi dealer is 4 hours away and their service department isn't open on Saturday or Sunday... so it would be a major PITA for me to do that.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion. Thanks for everyone's inputs so far.
hard to tell without looking at it, but sounds like you may have an ignition misfire under load causing a jolt in the engine and feeling it of course in the entire car.
see if you can get a reading on channel 14 and 32
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hello when my b6 quattro's EDL kicks in when on ice or snow the back end feels like it is sliding till it grips and then it pulls in to line again is this what you are feeling and that was driving the car just half an hour ago in 2inch of snow
Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikeb6quattro
hello when my b6 quattro's EDL kicks in when on ice or snow the back end feels like it is sliding till it grips and then it pulls in to line again is this what you are feeling and that was driving the car just half an hour ago in 2inch of snow
No, my issue is a really violent jerk/jolt. I really don't think the car is losing traction when it happens.

The ignition timing misfire makes some sense. I tried logging what the engine was doing when it happens but I don't have the full version of VagCom so it didn't save the log. I did notice that injection timing went up to like 9+ when it happens compared to staying around 3-4 the rest of the time. I don't know what this means though. Any help? Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP: when is the last time you changed the spark plugs? Perhaps you have a fouled plug or a cracked insulator, and regarding slippery conditions, sometimes moist humid air can exaggerate the effects of a bad plug.
I drive 6 months per year on snow and ice (cold region of Canada) and my quattro system never behaves like you describe, so it is definitely not normal. There is a problem, we just need to find it. I do think this sounds like a misfire, so if your plugs are fine, check the coils.

Quick Reply: Quattro problem?