A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

quattro question -- when one wheel has no traction, others still rotating, yes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quattro question -- when one wheel has no traction, others still rotating, yes?

someone, talking about Torsen, said "...when one of the wheels has no traction at all... the car will not move at all."

this sounds like an urban legend to me.

any experiences/data to confirm/disprove this?

thanks, mark.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yes - the complete opposite of what your friend said.

transfers power from spinning wheel to the others. otherwise it would be a completely crap system wouldn't it? you wouldn't win many rallys with that would you?

Info here<ul><li><a href="http://www.sonic.net/garyg/zonc/TechnicalInformation/TorsenDifferential.html">http://www.sonic.net/garyg/zonc/TechnicalInformation/TorsenDifferential.html</a</li></ul>
Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 PM

Default there is some truth to that theory

on quattro II without the rear diff locked you could lift a wheel and be without any traction at all.

on quattro III the center and rear diff were torsen so lifting a rear wheel wouldnt unload the driveline.

on quattro IV the center diff is a torsen unit and the rear diff is an open diff... however the car uses it's ABS system to actuate EDL (electronic differential lock) which pulsates the ABS on any of the 4 wheels *I think* to eliminate slippage which prevents the driveline from unloading and consequently prevents total loss of traction.

Now if you unplug your ABS unit or have a failed ABS controller on a quattro IV system and lift one wheel off of the ground... you wont be going anywhere.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Default you are partially correct

however you are also partially incorrect, and I'm a pessimist, so you're wrong.

There are 4 or 5 versions of "quattro" not all of them use torsen differentials. Some have no differentials or locking diffs, others use a haldex electrohydraulic clutching system, and finally some use torque sensing differentials that have a natural bias while others use neutral torsens with either a 3:1 or 2:1 maximum ratio.

The early rally cars didnt have torsen, but they still won races. They had lockable diffs kinda like a 4x4, but without the transfer case.

You didnt actually think that for the last 25 years audi had been using the same quattro did you?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Okey doke, but I though he was talking about a) Torsen b) B6's

Does that still make me wrong - assuming all the parts are working as they should?

Quite happy to be wrong - "I'm a lover not a mechanic" and of course I bow to your superior knowledge.

Cheers

PS - What version of quattro do we have?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You would need two wheels to be off the ground not to go anywhere...

One in the front and one in the rear. Of course this is not totally true anymore on my car.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You were right, he specifically said "Torsen" in his post.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: quattro question -- when one wheel has no traction, others still rotating, yes?

http://www.germantechnik.com/showthread.php?t=17118

This is a really good write up on what quattro started as and has become, along with the advantages and disadvantages of each generation of quattro (haldex,torsen)<ul><li><a href="http://www.germantechnik.com/showthread.php?t=17118">http://www.germantechnik.com/showthread.php?t=17118</a</li></ul>
Old 09-01-2005, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you have generation IV

I'm not certain if audi considers the new 40/60 neutral bias torsen to be gen V or what.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default untill EDL kicks in, you've really got nothing.

Yes I have experienced this with my H-sport rear sway bar, there is a seccond or two of hang time where the driveline is totally unloaded and the car has no ability to accelerate for a very brief moment.

When does it happen?

In very very tight uphill turns that are cambered or if there is an uphill turn that becomes terraced suddenly enough so that my rear suspension cannot accomodate the difference in height between the rear wheels. At those points a rear wheel will lift and the driveline unloads, that wheel (off of the ground) spins and then chirps when it contacts the ground again.

A limited slip rear diff will prevent this, as does EDL when it activates about a seccond after its all over.

Quick Reply: quattro question -- when one wheel has no traction, others still rotating, yes?