A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Question about the factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the factory alarm

I don't know if it varies from '02 to '03 models, but from most of the threads on here, it seems as though there should be a motion sensor in my car. However, I can't seem to set it off no matter what I do. I locked the doors, left the windows down, went inside, had a few coookies, came back out and basically climbed in the car waving my hands frantically... nothing. So I decided to sit in the car after locking it until the blinking light slowed to a crawl, then I started thrashing around like I was headbanging to some hard core punk music. Still nothing... I don't think I have a motion sensor. Either that or it's not activated. Any word from you others '03 owners?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Check the compartment in the drivers door...

There are three buttons there, the one in the middle turns the motion sensors on or off.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about the factory alarm

There had been word at the start of the '03 model year that the '03s would not have the interior motion sensor like the '02s did. However, it seems like there is still a switch to disable in on the driver's door, so it's confusing as to whether the sensor is there or not.

On the '02s with it, you really have to make a smack sound in order to set it off - it's more of a glass break sensor than anything, from what I've found. Also, I believe the manual says that the motion sensor doesn't activate until the car has been locked for 60 seconds.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:49 AM

You can turn it off so you can lock kids in the car on hot days and not set off the alarm
Old 06-27-2003, 08:50 AM

LOL!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe some of the later model '03s do not have the motion sensor. (more)

Mine doesn't. In the compartment in the driver's door, there are three buttons. In an earlier-model '03 the dealer had let us test drive for an afternoon, one button opened the trunk, one disabled the tow sensor, and the third disabled the motion sensor. In mine, however (Manufactured in April '03), while the physical switch for the motion sensor is there, it is blank and does not work.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:11 AM

Hmmm interesting, I wonder what would have been their reason for that?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, I think the '03 people got cheesed out of a motion sensor.

I just went out to have a look, and the button beneath the tilt sensor button is blank. I tried pulling it anyway, but the light does not come on. I also tried setting the alarm off again by slapping the dash and moving around some more (I was doing this in the parking garage and I think I weirded some people out by "spanking" my car). Anyway, I got nothing...

Short rant: It's things like this that are beginning to annoy me with Audi. My ex-girlfriend had a 325Ci and I always told her how she would have received more for her money had she opted for an Audi. Things like an alarm included with the car and rear heated seats... just little things like these put the Audi ahead of BMW. However, it seems like Audi is doing away with all its little perks now and I feel gypped. Boo Audi... you're losing your edge.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just one more thing Audi cheesed 2003 models out of

The list continues to grow...

No more rear heated seats
No aluminum trim in 1.8T
No tiptronic controls on steering wheel
No ...
Old 06-27-2003, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member