A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Question About Getting Locked Out.....HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Getting Locked Out.....HELP.

I will save you the explanation as to why, but none the less I got locked out of my car yesterday. No way to get the spare.

Called my Local Audi Dealer and said, there is NOTHING we can do accept order another key, but that wont be here till Monday. I asked, isnt there a program or a code my car has on file, or a programable key you can just bring over? ( I was five miles away from the dealer). They said no there is nothing we can do.

So that brings me to my question, is Audi's Roadside Assistanc supose to help with this, and what ARE they supose to do in this situation?
It was a Saturday afternoon, had to call a lock smith, and he opened it for me....

I was just wondering if maybe I should write a discoraging letter to AoA or something...but first I need to know if I should have expected them to help...

Thanks (Ill tell you how the locksmith got in after a few replies =), It was very slick, and I was very impresed...)
Old 10-26-2003, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hmm, Don't think you can complain about you locking your keys in your car.

Thats like serving and enthusiast papers and threatening him for making good products.

On a side note *DON'T* post how he got in if it's easy!! Don't need that kinda info going around!!
Old 10-26-2003, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh yea, I mean it was stupid they locked them in. I just though Audi was to assist with roadside....
Old 10-26-2003, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default roadside is a seperate number than your dealership though.

I don't know what their take is on it, but it's not something that just happened to you. You caused it. It's a like a warranty claim. if it broke under normal conditions, you are covered. If it's because of something you did, it's harder to be covered.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:40 AM

Default My understanding is that they (dealers) usually won't cover locksmiths..(m)

because the process usually results in some type of damage to the lock mechanism. As for Audi roadside, that is contracted to AAA, so it may be a AAA policy you should look into, rather than AoA. Just a guess there, though.

WIth the above in mind, the dealer was probably only thinking of how to cut a new key for you and program the car, but being a Saturday, either his service center wasn't open, or his access to do that work wasn't available.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yea, I was expecting the dealer to say AAA ya know...You would think....

its part of your warrenty...i mean it happenes...ya know.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wont say how he did it....but there was no damage at all. Car was opened via inside handle.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:01 AM

Good for you! that's nice to here.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:05 AM

You have Infotainment. I thought OnStar could unlock the car.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not many people have Onstar, but yes they can unlock. BTW: Onstar not part of Info pkg on A4

Quick Reply: Question About Getting Locked Out.....HELP.