A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Question on KO4...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on KO4...

hi guys,
I was just wondering is it possible to run a KO4 on APR Stage 1+ software, cos APR doesn't have K04 software of the B6...
Thanx for your help...
Old 10-04-2005, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

worthless IMO.....if you don't have the $$$ to get proper software just wait till u do
Old 10-04-2005, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boost settings are way too high for a k04 w/ k03 s/w. not good
Old 10-04-2005, 11:30 AM

Default i did just that, and now run GIAC FXK04 software.

we put an MBC in parallel with the N75 to limit the boost spikes, but the ECU called BS after a while, and kept going into limp mode.

Jeff Moss offered me a good deal on GIAC software, so i took him up on it.

now, the car runs better, but i still have some issues to iron out. i don't know if it's the software or the car, so i can't say one way or the other how good the GIAC software is.

bottom line - don't waste your time trying to bandaid it. get new software if you're going to get a K04.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can you elaborate on the issues. im getting ready to do this and

just want as much info as i can get.

thanks,

diztek
Old 10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2nd
Old 10-04-2005, 06:05 PM

Default issues are mostly driveability...

boost still spikes up over the vagcom limit of 2540 mbar absolute, which is something like 22psi or so. after the initial spike, it seems to follow requested boost OK. dunno if this is OK or not.

stepping into the pedal too hard causes a bucking or jerking. at first i thought it was just me backing out of the throttle and getting back into it, but after a couple weeks of getting used to it, it's definitely not my foot.

yesterday i discovered a surging issue. it's tough to replicate, but at a certain speed on the highway, and at a certain throttle application, the car will literally pulse in power - on-off-on. it's subtle, but you can definitely feel it happening. i have a feeling this and the previous problem are related. hell, maybe all of them.

lastly, some vagcom block 120 "dyno's" showed a torque curve that wasn't what i expected. it was basically a tabletop from 2K-6K at 200 ft-lb. i was expecting a LOT more torque. HP was ~240 in the upper RPM.

that's about all i can think of. trouble is, i can't readily tell if this is software driven or if i just have some failing sensors or something that could be causing these problems.

Jeff Moss had asked me to do some datalogging, which i did. i haven't heard back yet.

i'm still optimistic, as apparently several people have this software and are happy and have shown good power on the dyno.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My .02...

The boost going above 2540 will be completely normal since the vag com cant measure more than that, but not to worry the computer itself can just fine. As for the driveability issues, they would concern me as well.

With the bucking, I know it seems stupid but at times the cars once modified can become VERY sensitive to partial clutch imputs upon acceleration. Sometimes the instinct is to grab the clutch a bit when it jerks and it will make a car bounce like a ball. Try putting your foot on the dead pedal the next time it happens. I know this probably isnt the cause, but just make sure as I had to relearn how to drive several of these cars as well for each one I got in.

Lastly, I would check timing logs (channel 20) from 2500rpm to redline. Make sure they are in check as this is a very common and easily fixable (if GIAC is willing) item for GIAC.

Of course all the usual other hardware suspects depending on any codes you get.

cheers! Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 09:40 AM

Default i've been thinking

that my DV could be part of the problem...there are times when i get a really bad surge, like if you're WOT at full boost and then all of a sudden have to get out of the gas fast, like someone cutting you off.

aside from that, what indicates a failing N75?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Failing N75 can certainly also show up as eradic boost. Usually you will...

end up with a CEL out of it. Cheapest way to check these things is just find some one who will let you use their N75 for a few minutes. They only take about 10 minutes to swap so that can be a quick rule-out. cheers! Mike

Quick Reply: Question on KO4...