A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Question, or more of a remark about ESP. (m)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question, or more of a remark about ESP. (m)

So I'm driving around in the city and hit traffic. I decide to cut through a mall and opened the throttle in first. As I turn into the mall and go over the sidewalk ramp, my car hops a bit and ESP flashes. I lose power to my wheels and slow down. I know this is the function of ESP, however, I didn't have it on and I didn't hit the brake. I thought it would only come on if you did either of those and not just powering through.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just for a sanity check, you mean you didn't have it on as in the light WAS illuminated, correct?(m)

ESP is on by default and whenever the light in the instrument cluster is not on solid. If it *is* on solid, then ESP is disabled.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

You may now disregard this post =D ty woof
Old 09-06-2002, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was wondering....might there be a way to turn it off by default?

Pulling the fuse will probably trigger some sort of alert status. What else could be possible? Blocking the switch?

I just hate it when I pull away at a traffic light 'in a spirited way' and ESP kicks in after shifting to second gear. :|
Old 09-06-2002, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I was wondering....might there be a way to turn it off by default?

dunno about you EuroDan but the US versions have the ESP button next to the coin holder on the dash... it disables ESP, but in extreme cases the ESP still kicks in.. found that out at Quattro Challenge....
Old 09-07-2002, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Euro-spec also has the ESP button. But ESP resets to ON if the engine is turned off.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:13 AM

Default Well, over on the VWvortex forums, people had discussed rigging up a circuit in the ESP or ASR (m)

button. If I recall, the circuit would make it seem as if the button was being held in after a second or two delay. I think someone got it to work. Let me see if I can dig up the thread.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:28 AM

Default Instructions from VWvortex:

I'm guessing the behavior of our ESP button (as far as wiring/electronics for how the button disables it) is similar to the ASR button on the VWs. That said, here's instructions someone had posted for having ASR off by default:

Go to your local Rat Shack and pick up a 33uF electrolytic capacitor, or something close to it. This will give you a ~5 sec delay, bigger values give bigger delay. I will explain this more later.

Bring an extension cord out to your car and plug your soldering iron in.

While the iron is warming up, pull out the ASR switch as follows:
Hold in the ASR button, and pull out the seat warmer switch (If you have one). Then pull out the ASR switch. Basically just get that switch out of the dash, leave it plugged in though.

Take your pocket knife and cut a bit of insulation away from the black, and the gray/black wire. Don't cut the wires! Just skin some insulation off, so you have some wire to solder to.

Wrap the negative lead of the capacitor around the gray/black wire, where you stripped it.

Wrap the positive lead of the capacitor around the black wire.

Solder the leads to the wire.

Wrap tape around each lead so they don't short out.

Put your car back together.

Now, when you start your car, the ASR will be disabled, the light on the dash will be on, and you can peel out of your driveway.

If you put your key in the ignition, turn the car on (not started), and wait longer then the delay time (5 sec) before actually starting, then the ASR will be turned on, the light will be off, and you won't peel out of your driveway.

When the ASR is off, pushing the ASR button immediately turns it back on.

When the ASR is on, pushing the ASR button turns it off, after the delay time (5 sec).