A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

quick question about a snub mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about a snub mount

can they wear out, say, after about 74,000 miles?

Car vibrates only upon acceleration (i am at 75,000 miles), and on accelerating turns.

Checked CV joints/boots, look fine.

Wheels are nice and tight.

Not bent wheels.

not misfiring, just replaced plugs 2 days ago (thinking it could be the problem).

Not coilpack, already replaced (though these L's could be going, but I doubt it).

DOnt hear clinking, and dont suspect bearings.

Feel.s like it comes from front of car.

Had APR Snub put in 74,000 miles ago. Finally, after checking everything else, I check the snub. It is loose enough to jiggle around, doesnt look nearly as big as it did when new, and from what I know of the install, you need WD40 just to get it on the arm, yet now I can jiggle that thing around.

But before I deduce this to be the snub causing my acceleration vibration, can someone just tell me if its supposed to be this loose? It doesnt spin in circles, but almost.

I am a tip, turbo, chipped for 74,000 miles, with 93 and 100 octane programmed. APR.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:34 PM

Default looked again, the front of the snub doesnt touch the front of the car

is that normal? Its loose in there. THe aluminum arm isnt touching the front of the car either. NOTHING is.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default have you had your timming belt replaced yet, along with

all the other stuff in the 100K service. I was noticing the same thing but then I had the service done at 70K and havne't had a problem since.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Default so you noticed a jiggle during acceleration at about 76,000 miles?

its an awkward feeling, too. You start ruling out all possibilities with experience and simple physics...

like, not wheels...
not plugs,
not fuel pump (its relatively new, not that that means anything though)
not at idle or coasting so its probably nothing to do with fuel delivery.
steering wheel doesnt shimmy at all so it probably nothing to do with alignment.
doesnt have any clicking sounds so probably not an axle or CV Joint.
Probably not even the Timing belt since its really only on acceleration....I would think, though I could be wrong, that timing would affect everything from idle to high RPMs as well.
SO, i keep coming back to a couple things...which are:

Something to do with the rear differential or snub mount. But I am leaning towards the rear diff.

I noticed tonight that its is actually during acceleration into a left turn, left swerve, basically anything where I turn the wheel to the left. Again, steering wheel does not shake, but its like I can feel the shaking in the rear.

I also rule out exhuast, because the symptoms occur only on left turn acceleration.

So, either a bad CV in rear passenger (Theres a CV there no? If not, maybe the rear pasenger bearings...) OR quattro issue telling the car that the left rear needs more traction on simple left turns.

No ABS light or brake light, plus brakes and rotors were done about 3 weeks ago.

So, I contginue to try to figure out the most probable cause. This way, I know whether I should take it to an actual Audi tech, or whether it is a mainstream service shop type problem which is fixable by anyone with an ASE certification. If its an all wheel drive quattro problem, I am going to have to go to an Audi specialized place.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:37 PM

Default here is a link to another with the similar problem

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/86476.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/86476.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 06-19-2005, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you hear any noises when you are accelerating?

Also have you check to see if it occurs in reverse also? If it does it in reverse I would check the drive shaft, the sounds won't show up till it gets really bad but there could be more than allowable play in there. There are CV in the rear also. Also when did it start again, you might have a caliper hanging up it wouldn't throw a light or anything in the abs but you would smell the brakes if it were.

Also do the vibs occur at a paticular speed or very time, if they are low speeds maybe the EDL is kicking in when it shouldn't.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:30 AM

Default nope, no noises, just a shimmying of the car, no mater what speed.

it can be 5 mph or 100 mph, speed doesnt matter, it just happens whenever I accelerate.

I also shifted the tiptronic into different gears at 50 mph, 60 mph etc, and the shimmy happened each time, but only when accelerating.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

reverse too? and it goes away when you get off the gas?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:35 AM

not reverse (though I didnt really try it), but yes, it goes away without aceleration.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Weird, you have me stumped? Just drive your truck then

you won't have the problem.. Or if you want you can buy my A4 I don't have that problem...

Quick Reply: quick question about a snub mount