A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

RADIO / XM install, I NEED HELP. So far no one here has really helped me, please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RADIO / XM install, I NEED HELP. So far no one here has really helped me, please...

I am about to throw my XM in the trash because it won't work worth a ****. It worked fine in my last car Acura CL-S. But this car 2003 A4, with non-bose sym II it won't. I bought the blitz adapter. I have it hooked up, its distorted sounding. But since the cable would not reach the trunk and the radio at the same time I had to extend the connectors that go into the back of the radio with a Cat5 cable. Well this might be my cause, but no one here would help me, so I had to figure something out. How the heck am I suppose to connect the PIONEER XM RF unit brain in the trunk to the stereo when they only gave me 1 ft of blitz adapter wire? I had it hooked up with RF attenna, and my radio reception went to nothing almost. So I disconnected it now and left it through the blitz sounding distorted.

Now I have spent already a good amount of money trying to get this damn thing to work, and still nothing.

I need details, part #s, whatever it takes to get this damn thing working. Or even help!

Anyone please.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay start from the beginning. Did the blitzsafe adapter work in the first place? When you say the

radio reception went to nothing when you used the RF modulator, does that mean FM, AM or both? Did you try turning the unit off with the power button to get regular reception for FM/AM?

Explain in great detail what your Cat 5 extension is like? If it is for your Blitzsafe adapter then that is probably why your sound is bad. I don't know much about the adapter but for signal strength reasons the wire is probably only 1 ft long. Maybe you are getting electromagnetic interference with the CAT 5 cable? Have you tried insulating it or moving the wire and see if reception is improved? Where is your antenna located? I'm assuming you are using the Terk SR-2 antenna, right?

I have installed two XM systems and one Sirius system all using the RF Modulator and I've had no problem. I have yet to install it in my B6 but it is going to happen either tomorrow or this Saturday.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Okay,

FM Radio reception was bad with the XM turned off or on. Last night I disconnected the FM part and the radio worked again fine. It is currently being used through the CD changer port but distorted sounding. The CAT5 cable is for networking. It has 8 wires in it. Twisted pair though. This might be causing a problem and I just purchased a IP-BUS extension cable from pioneer. I am going to reduce the size of my extension back to where it was, and install this cable and HOPE the problem goes away.

The RF seemed to have worked for a short while, then radio reception went down hill. I checked all the connections, it didn't matter.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:15 AM

Default Why are you installing part of it in the trunk?

I don't have the RF adapter but I have the Sony plug and play. The one that mounts in a cradle and connects through Aux inputs. But previous RF modulators that I used always were installed hidden up in the dash or under the seats, I would recommend the dash. You should then have a much longer wire for your antenna. Hence you only need the 1 ft. cable. Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here is what happened to my FM modulator install

The Audi amplified antennae required a capicitor to be placed between the Audi antennae and the FM modulator, effectively turning off the signal from the Audi antennae when the XM is on. I receive no radio reception if the XM unit is on. If I want to listen to the radio, I have to turn the XM unit off. Overall, I am not satisfied that there is an easy install for XM on these cars. However, I love XM's programming so much, that I am willing to wait until SoundGate or Blitzsafe figure their **** out.

Rick