A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

<rant> sorry last post about my out of warranty sunken window dealer conspiracy :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default <rant> sorry last post about my out of warranty sunken window dealer conspiracy :)

im sitting here trying to put the pieces together before i go to get my car back and something truly strikes me as odd....

i dropped off my car and then stood outside of the dealership waiting for my dad to pick me up...

30 minutes later the service advisor calls me saying the window regulator is broken, and the c/v boot, and the tranny leak...

my dad gets there 2 minutes later and the guy takes us back to the car to see it up on a lift where he shows us whats wrong...

now the conspiracy theory:

he was charging me 1 hour of labor ($101) to diagnose what was wrong with my window... what i suspected to be simply a cheapo broken clip (as it was the 4 previous times my window has sunken in between my vw and audi) sure enough its a $197 window regulator...

and what strikes me as odd... within 30 minutes my car is on a lift he has found 2 more "concerns" with the car both quotes $400 for parts/labor a piece on top of determining my window regulator was broken...

well frankly why was my car on a lift to begin with....

if the door was on the car how did they know it was a window regulator

im starting to get really skeptical and im ready to question them about this very fact when i get there....

now to mention that fact that they charge me 1 hour to diagnose and clearly took about 20 minutes including time to look all around the car for more work to pocket more money for the stealership....

it just doesn't sound right...

im also gonna ask them to show me my broken window regulator because i want to keep the part... and if all they replaced is a clip then they won't have a broken window regulator to give me ... im hoping that is the case and i catch them, because im so skeptical

&lt;/rant&gt;
Old 03-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Joey T

Default Let me educate you.

now the conspiracy theory:

and what strikes me as odd... within 30 minutes my car is on a lift he has found 2 more "concerns" with the car both quotes $400 for parts/labor a piece on top of determining my window regulator was broken...

well frankly why was my car on a lift to begin with....&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

So the tech could check it out and sell you whatever else needed to be done.

That *is* his job. You would be the first one to cry lawsuit of you pulled out of the door and your axle failed, causing a crash.

Also, you paid a diag charge. You did not pay for an hour of the techs time, you paid for him to diagnose your issue. If he did it in under an hour, good for him.

if the door was on the car how did they know it was a window regulator&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Good question. As a rule, I will always replace regulators rather than small parts. Saves on people coming back in when the other clip breaks and claiming it is the same issue.

now to mention that fact that they charge me 1 hour to diagnose and clearly took about 20 minutes including time to look all around the car for more work to pocket more money for the stealership....&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Again, you did not pay to own the tech for an hour. You paid to have a problem diagnosed. 10 minutes or 60, matters not.

im also gonna ask them to show me my broken window regulator because i want to keep the part... and if all they replaced is a clip then they won't have a broken window regulator to give me ... im hoping that is the case and i catch them, because im so skeptical&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Always do that.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:51 AM

Default well i have a cpo and if i have them check somthing and its not covered by waranty or they dont

find a problem i have to pay them minimum 1hr diagnostics time even if it doesn't take them that long. the fact it was on the lift....i personally would ask them y they put it there to begin with. seems expensive to me but then again your stealer is getting $101 an hour/labor. If all you need fixed now is your window regulator...let them fix that then get the rest fixed at a regular mechanic. labor rate is way to much to pay them to fix your cv boot and tranny issue.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 AM

Default not much help, but here's my plan...

A week before my last warranty scheduled maintenance service I'll be taking my car to some contacts at an independent garage and pay them an hour's wages to inspect the car. Whatever they find wrong I'll ask the dealer to fix under warranty.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:55 AM

good plan
Old 03-11-2006, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default yes i know what you mean... its just funny that

in 4 years / 50,000 miles under warranty not one time did my car go in for service and have them find something else wrong with it...

this time around im out of warranty and they go fishing for it and find not one, but 2 things wrong...
Old 03-11-2006, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default that is a good idea

something i should've done for 1 hours cost at an independent shop
Old 03-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Joey T

Customer pay labor is higher than warranty.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default that would've been a much better plan

because the other issues weren't need to fix today issues...

but i already gave them the go ahead yesterday which i pretty much regret doing
Old 03-11-2006, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

same goes for parts

Quick Reply: <rant> sorry last post about my out of warranty sunken window dealer conspiracy :)