A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Re: I made the same observations with my Bose system, I was wondering

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I made the same observations with my Bose system, I was wondering

My understanding is that if you plan on doing upgrades (speaker replacements), don't get the Bose. The system is integrated and you can't just exchange a couple of speakers without replacing them all. See previous posts on the topic.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:54 PM

Default get a seperate sub.

I would probably get a seperate sub. Just installed a Basslink with the bose (borrowed from gf for testing). It sounds great! I think the one flaw in the any of the new audi stereos is the lack of a seperate sub woofer control. The tweets and 6.5 are good enough but with out the bass turned up. The basslink has a seperate volume control so I turn the bass down on the mains and the bass up on the link....bamm! really awesome sound!!!

It really depends on your goals. If you are going to replace the speakers, you are going to need a seperate amp. So why waste the cash on the bose.

From what I understand, the bose system is upgraded interiors (not including the sub) and a bigger bose amp.

I have never been satified with any interior speakers without a clean bass source. The sub in the A4 is the weak link, not the interiors.

Honestly, if you turn the bass to -2 in the interiors and the mid to +-0, treble to 2-5 with a seperate sub, you can crank the bose to full volume with no distortion.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: get a seperate sub.

All good advice, just one question. You mention that you need a seperate amp if you replace the speaker.....why? I mean, I would do this anyway. An amp is the best way to get better sound. But why do you NEED to do this? Will aftermarket speakers not work with the bose system for some reason?
Old 12-13-2001, 08:07 AM

Re: What's the cost for basslink?
Old 12-13-2001, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

They most likely will not. I know on some of the older Bose systems, the speakers in the bose setup were a funky impedence. That would probably overdrive any commercial amp. You can sometimes replace the speakers in the bose "enclosure" but it almost always sounds like crap......Stick with a non bose car if you plan on doing a lot of upgrades to your stereo.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:38 PM

Default Re: What's the cost for basslink?

about 350 brand new. Comes with a class d amp and 10' sub. Takes about 1 cubic feet of space. Easy install.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:42 PM

I don't think that the amp in the car is bad, but I don't think changing the speaker is the problem either.

The way I look at it is that if you want cleaner sound, then changing the speaker is not going to do much if you have the same problem with the bass and keep the bose amp.

To me the bose system is very clean and bose has a reputation for producing clean sound. But there product is "matched" to their speaker. The sound quaility is going to be the same. Maybe the volume variation might differ but essentially you are going to get mostly the same sound.

However, for expandability sake the new amp would allow you to tune your system.

The bose amp has no controls.

But I really think the bose for highs and midlevels is awesome.
The lack of bass eq makes it suffer.