A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Really starting to regret my A4 purchase..is NE1 here a Audi tech?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup hit clear DTC after I replaced ECT..

Huh, I guess I'll see what happens over next day or two. I would like to know how to manual reset it though since Monday is the last day I can drive with the Rejection sticker. Any chance you could direct me in this direction?

Thanks for input this was helpful.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Also read this...

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Whats with all the complainers lately?...Geez, it sounds like elementry school in here some days.

its a car for god sake not NASA space ship that is intended to withstand 1milion degress and last forever...even those things have issues and sometimes explode...
Old 07-22-2006, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK, each component you mentioned, has a specific "monitor", to determine correct function or lack of

If, for example, the battery was disconnected, each emissions component monitor (they are subsets inside the OBD II software in the ECU.), is set to "failed" and or "Incomplete". These are the default conditions for the monitored emissions components. In order that the monitors status goes from failed or incomplete to Passed and or "ready", the car must be driven enough so that the operating conditions needed to evaluate the emissions monitors has occurred, requiring varied types of driving, cold and warm starts, different trip distances and running times. Until all those preconditions are satisfied, the several monitors will show failed, and or incomplete. There is a way to set the "Readiness", via VAG-COM, without the required drive cycles, I won't go into that here. The things you described seeing on the scan, is normal condition. It does not mean there is system failures or emissions defects necessarily.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perform this OBD II Driving Cycle:

From Bentley:

OBD II Drive Cycle
Readiness Code Generating
General Description
Diagnostics are performed at regular intervals during normal vehicle operation. After repairing an emissions related system, a readiness code is generated by road testing the vehicle.
If a malfunction is recognized during the drive cycle, it will be stored in the DTC memory.
The OBD drive cycle operation will be monitored with a hand held diagnostic tool.
Consult the manufacturer's instruction manual for correct tool operation.
The readiness code is erased every time the DTC memory is erased or any time the battery is disconnected.
If the DTC memory has been erased or the battery is disconnected, a new readiness code must be generated.
Only erase the DTC memory if a DTC has been stored.
General Recommendations
Most monitors will complete easier and quicker using a "steady-foot" and "smooth" acceleration during the drive cycle operation, cruise, and acceleration modes.
- 1 -
OBD II Drive Cycle
Readiness Code Generating continued
Operating Conditions
For the EVAP monitor test, the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature must be between 10° C and 35° C with a difference between them no greater than 4° C. The ambient air temperature must not change more than
4° C during the drive cycle procedure (e.g. when driving out of a heated workshop in the winter).
Requirements
* Erase the DTC memory.
* Coolant temperature must be between 80° C and 110° C.
* The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) must be between 10° C and 35° C.
* Battery voltage must be a minimum of 12.5 volts.
Warning:
When performing the drive cycle operation, pay strict attention to driving conditions and please observe and obey all posted speed limits. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury or possible death.
Drive Cycle Procedure
1. Connect the diagnostic tester.
2. Switch the ignition on and start the vehicle.
3. Idle the vehicle for 2-3 minutes. This executes the O2S Heater, Misfire, Secondary AIR, Fuel Trim, and Purge system monitors.
4. Drive the vehicle at 45-55 mph for a continuous 7-minute period, avoid stopping. This executes the EVAP, O2S, Fuel Trim, and Misfire monitors.
5. Accelerate the vehicle to an engine speed of 5000 RPM (with automatic transmission use the tip-tronic mode); lift off from the throttle until the engine speed is at around 1200 rpm. This executes the fuel cut off monitor. Perform this step twice to execute the O2S rear monitor.
6. Accelerate the vehicle smoothly to 60-65 mph, cruise constantly for 5 min, this executes the Catalyst; O2S, Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge System monitors.
7. Decelerate and idle the vehicle again for 3 minutes. This executes the Misfire, Secondary AIR, Fuel Trim, and Purge system monitors.
- 2 -
OBD II Drive Cycle
Readiness Code Generating continued
8. Check the status of the readiness code.
Note:
Depending on the diagnostic tester used. The readiness code status may be displayed as complete, passed or OK.
9. If any engine monitor fails the drive cycle test. Repeat the drive cycle test until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
Note:
When repeating the drive cycle operation for a failed EVAP monitor or thermostat-monitor, allow the engine to cool until the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature are be between 10° C and 35° C with a difference between them no greater than 4° C is observed and repeat the drive cycle operation.
10. If the drive cycle operation fails again.
11. Check the DTC memory for stored DTC's.
12. Repair the vehicle if necessary.
13. Repeat the drive cycle operation until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
14. Remove the diagnostic tester and switch the ignition off.
15. End of operation.
- 3 -
Old 07-23-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

They have more small problems then we do
Old 07-24-2006, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Perform this OBD II Driving Cycle:

Worked like a charm, everything is in ready mode will find out today if I get a sticker.

Thanks a million!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

:&gt
Old 07-24-2006, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Emissions are warrantied til 80,000 miles [edit]

Thanks, funny thing is I spoke with service department and they said warranty on this car has expired. I specifically told him that the problem was with the emissions system. Guess I need to go through paperwork to findout exactly what is still under warranty & what's not.