A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Recommended driving habits during break-in period

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended driving habits during break-in period

Other than not pushing the pedal down to the metal and flooring it,etc. how are we "allowed" to drive the vehicle? How long is the break-in period? Is travelling at constant highway speeds okay? Anything else!?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:56 PM

Default here ya go...

highway speeds are OK, but it is best to vary speeds as much as possible (setting the cruise to 65mph for several hours is generally discouraged). be gentle with the car for the first thousand miles or so... that means no full throttle/redlining the vehicle, don't punch it off the line at every stop light, don't go nuts on back roads, and don't get her up to 120 on the highway. easy on the braking, too, when you can. after the first thousand miles, its the opposite... rip into her a bit. accelerate quickly, redline it from time to time...in other words drive aggressively for the next 500-1000. After that, drive how you would normally! Keep in mind its a well-built machine, not adhering to those rules exactly isn't going to ruin your car but it helps...
Old 05-21-2003, 02:57 PM

There's a break in procedure in the FAQ link in my sig.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:12 PM

Default Just use common sense....

Do not be overly concerned with it that it makes you nervous with driving. Depending on your mileage though;

For the first 500 miles or so take it easy, meaning; no WOT or redline, excessive high reving when cold.. Keep the RPM max at 4-5K or so when driving. Things like that. Try not to drive at constant speeds/RPM's for long periods of time/distance. Vary the gears and speed.

Between 500 - 1000 miles; you can begin to push it some more. Don't redline though or punch it off the line. Start opening the throttle a little more, but not WOT. And still vary the rpms and speed.

After 1K miles you should be completely relaxed and ok with driving it more aggresively now. An engine will perform better later on if it is broken in properly with some harder driving now. As opposed to being gentle with it for thousands of miles. You want to in effect, "train it".

Make sure to check the oil often (once a week or with each fill up). It is during this break-in period that you can see quick consumption of oil and there is only 4qts in the 1.8t.

Everything is going well for mine at 7K miles. Total oil consumption = 1.5qts
Old 05-21-2003, 03:29 PM

I was told to keep the revs under 4500 for the first 500 miles. Also, vary speed when on highway.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is what I'm doing.....at 400 miles -- so far, so good!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Recommended driving habits during break-in period

I'm still in the breakin period on my 3.0, and I have been following the advise found here. I will add that I feel the ECU is limiting power during breakin. The car seems to have more power under 3k than I want to use right now, but goes lifeless above 3k or so. I have almost 400 miles now, and I have only been up to 4k a couple of slow/smooth/brief times recently, but there are times during heavy rush hour traffic that you just need to get up and go and it seems that no amount of pedal travel will make that happen right now when the revs get over 3k or so. I have heard rumors that there are magical power increases at certain milages (1k), and I have heard theories on the ECU programming. I asked my salesman about this and while he could not confirm about the ECU programming he did mention that one day out of the blue (maybe around 1k) the car will just start running like gangbusters. I hope this is true, becuase it just does not seem right the way that it is responding now!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Deep throttle, low revs. More rpm gradually. Engine will tell you what it wants to do.

Basicly, beat on it once or twice a ride, then drive normally on the way home. Deep throttle will give you high combustion pressures, seating the rings while there is still cross-thaching in the cylinder bore. Trust me.