A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Reducing body roll and "floaty" feeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing body roll and "floaty" feeling

I'm still on a quest for enlightment... :-)

I have a '02 A4 1.8TQM with regular suspension and 16' tires. I love this car all around, from the care to detail of the interior finish toi the handling on the road. Nonetheless, I've gotten a little sensitive about the amount of body roll I get on tight curves, and the "floating" feeling I get sometimes on the highway.

I didn't go for the sports suspension afraid the ride would be too harsh. So here's my Q's: Is there a good alternative to the current normal suspension w/o being as harsh as the sports suspension? 2) Will a sway bar by itself (using regular suspension) reduce both these symptoms without penalizing on comfort?, and 3) Does the normal suspension have different settings, maybe a lightly harder one?

Regards, and thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You need aftermarket springs and maybe shocks.

Do a search on:
Eibach
H&R
Koni
Bilstein

It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have been trying to figure the same thing out.

But it looks like our alternatives will make the ride more uncomfortable. Most aftermarket shocks will be stiffer than the stock sport shocks. Bilstein's are the "closest" to the sport shocks, but they are not out yet. I think (my opinion) that the Eibach springs would be the best to get for comfort reasons.

I am probably going to go with Eibachs and Koni shocks. The Koni's are stiffer than the Bilstein's but the Koni's are adjustable.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Note: Koni's are adjustable when not attached to the car. Adjustment = $$$ + alignment.

Or if you do it yourself: time plus alignment.

I plan to blow the factory shocks first. Shocks on my Honda lasted 200K there is no reason these should not last 100K with the "soft" Eibach springs. They are "progressive" thus most of the time in normal driving they should work the shock in the same manner as the standard springs.

What do you think?
Old 07-06-2002, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really don't know. Too many people have been telling me to get new shocks.

Even with using the Eibachs. It is a very tough call, stock shocks could last you a while or not long at all.

I just can't discount all the people who have been telling me to do shocks at the same time. If u buy the Koni's from SPP they are only $410 (I believe) I will probably leave them on the softest setting. There is practically no additional charge to install the shocks with the springs. But if your shock wear out in less than a year you will be paying that same price to install shocks. And they will have to take out the springs on front of car. Which should not cause a problem, but any time to take something out and put back in always makes me think it could weaken that part. IMO
Old 07-06-2002, 09:16 PM

neuspeed springs are avail, but wait for the bilstein shocks to put on together
Old 07-07-2002, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Default How many miles on your car? The floaty feeling lessens with miles!

I'm also annoyed at the floating feeling and body roll. My non-sport '97 A4 felt better. But at 3K miles I can say the car is starting to settle down more than when new...it could also be that the temperatures are around 90 the last 2 weeks and this lowers the shock oil viscosity so that may be a factor.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bilstein's may not be out until 2003.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:05 PM

Raistlin mentioned leaving the Koni's at the softest setting, so Bilstein's may be overkill
Old 07-07-2002, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the Bilsteins are the shocks that are closest to sports pkg shocks. (I think)

At least that is what people have compared them to. The Koni's get a 50/50 review, half the people love them, the other half hate them. So who knows what the right answer is. And of course, the Bilsteins are not out yet and there is no ETA on when they will be out.

Since I did not get the sports package, I would like a susp. that is better than that. So I think the Eibach/Koni combo would be pretty good (IMO)

I am still debating about the springs, either the Eibach's or Neuspeed sport springs. I think I may go with Eibach's because of name and reputation. And I don't want to go too low. I do a lot of commuting and too low of a car just brings more scrapes and bottoming out.

Quick Reply: Reducing body roll and "floaty" feeling