A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Rough Ride from Regular to Sports Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Ride from Regular to Sports Suspension?

I'm the proud owner of a brilliant black 02 A4 1.8TQM w/ regular suspension. After a month of driving, I'm getting too sensitive to the amount of roll I get on highway exits. I didn't get the sports suspension initially thinking the ride would be too rough, since the 02
normal suspension is supposed to be the sports suspension of previous models.

I need some enlightment from someone who's familiar with both normal and sports suspensions, Will the ride feel substantially rougher going from normal to sports?

Should I go for Audi's OEM sports suspension or are there better options out there?

Thanks much.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:23 AM

Default What tyres do you have? the 15's or 16's?. I tested a sports and on less than perfect roads, it felt

jerky, the salesman said it had shipping blocks, I wasnt so sure if he was telling the truth.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I test drove both and noticed hardly any difference.

I had lowered my previous car with both sport springs and shocks. I got real tired of the bouncy/harsh ride so i was real cautious and skeptical about getting the sport suspension on the A4. But i really couldn't tell much of any difference in ride quality! And the handling and looks is so much better. I love it.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:53 AM

Default They let you drive with shipping blocks...

...and then didn't immediately return to dealership to remove them, apologise, and let you drive the car properly!?!?!?!

If so, I hope they didn't get your business.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:56 AM

Default The sport suspension is way way harder than the non-sport

because my friend has the 15" non sport
and it feel much softer and not nearly as bumpy as the sport one
but the body roll is much more noticeble than sport
Old 06-29-2002, 11:30 AM

Default Well, we wernt looking for a three litre or sports, pretty much knew the engine and suspension

we wanted from the start.... as you can see in the sig

The car felt extremely stiff to the point where it was bumping on a few groves in the road... but just wanted an initial feel of the A4, and personally I didnt mind gunning a brand new 3 litre quattro down one of the motorways for a few miles .

Got some drives of the car we wanted later.
16 inch wheels, michelins, I feel its a nice balance for the type of uses it goes through, city driving, a few potholes around... but still feels great around corners at speed and yet has a comfortable ride.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:50 AM

Default Re: What tyres do you have? the 15's or 16's?. I tested a sports and on less than perfect roads, it

I got 16' tires, and test drove a 16', but the dealer didn't have any sports suspension model at the time of test drive... My previous car was a Cherokee so anything I would have driven at the time felt much firmer. Now I'm spoiled...
Old 06-29-2002, 11:59 AM

Default Caractere Rear Wing "Sport" w/ Brake Light

Jason,

I noticed the the "Caractere Rear Wing "Sport" w/ Brake Light" is your sig, but didn't see any pics of it in your Pic Poster. Do you have any?

Cheers
Old 06-29-2002, 01:04 PM

Will Neruspeed or other roll bar on normal suspension improve roll?
Old 06-29-2002, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Default I live in northeastern PA and find the non-sport annoyingly harsh with 16" Michelin MXM4 @ 30 psi

Depends where you live and the roads you drive on. The roads here are slighly bumpy and tar strips every 12 inches so the car gets on your nerves fast. Plus when the car is driven in 30 degree F temps the shock oil and tire sidewalls stiffen up and it just gets worse! I found my old '97 2.8MQ without sport, but with stiff Michelin XGT-Z4 all-seasons just great for improved handling and with just fabulous snow and cold weather performance for a Z rated tire. I would have proably sold the '02 A4 in 2 months if it had the sport suspension.....or I would have needed new teeth by now!

The '02 body roll also annoying. I'm really thinking of dumping the A4 in leass than a year because of the annoying suspension, grabby clutch, and the hundred other flaws that were poorly designed into this model. I drove a G35 and yes the interior is not as good as the A4, but I really don't look at the interior while I'm driving. The G35 was just great in the handling and ride department. There are rumors that it will be coming to the US with AWD shortly!

Quick Reply: Rough Ride from Regular to Sports Suspension?