A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

RS4 Sway Oversteer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Sway Oversteer Questions

Hey Guys, this is my first post since I just bought a 2004 A4 Avant 6sp 1.8T with the sport package. The car is stock.

My new car drives fairly well, but I am having some trouble with the handling. The car seems to hold the road fairly well, but the sway in the corners is quite a bit more than I am used to (Mini Cooper S). This seems to be body roll, but may also somewhat be thicker sidewalls leaning.

In any case, in my searching I have seen that the RS4 sway bar is a very popular mod. I have some apprehension about bulking up the rear to 22mm from 18mm about oversteer though. I have seen a post from Jim at Stasis naming the same concern, but he did not specify whether he was talking about the OEM sport suspension or just the normal one. For those who have OEM sport with the RS4 sway, do you still understeer at the limit? I have to drive in the snow and am used to FWD cars, so I would like to understeer for safety reasons.

I would like the car to drive the way I want it to for the least amount of money, but am willing to do this the right way, and for me suspension always comes first. If I want OEM ride height but a better handling ride, am I on the right track?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I ended up installing the RS4 sway bar when I still had my stock non-sport suspension. To me it made a world of difference in terms of making the car feel more neutral in terms of steering.

I think if you're trying to reduce the amount of body roll then the RS4 is a good switch. I think upgrading the overall suspension is the more proper way to go but you can do that overtime.

I think you mean you want oversteer as in FWD cars track with their front wheels which means they oversteer versus understeer. I will say the RS4 sway does make it more neutral feeling and that with the quattro makes for better handling.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by vhstejskal
I ended up installing the RS4 sway bar when I still had my stock non-sport suspension. To me it made a world of difference in terms of making the car feel more neutral in terms of steering.

I think if you're trying to reduce the amount of body roll then the RS4 is a good switch. I think upgrading the overall suspension is the more proper way to go but you can do that overtime.

I think you mean you want oversteer as in FWD cars track with their front wheels which means they oversteer versus understeer. I will say the RS4 sway does make it more neutral feeling and that with the quattro makes for better handling.
Here is an article that is the first result on google when talking about FWD and understeer: http://www.modernracer.com/tips/fron...oversteer.html

In any case, thanks for your help. I had some experience today that suggests the largest difference between the two cars suspension is actually sway bars and not springs, but I am still open to either.