A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

SBPD Petition for NorCal vs SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SBPD Petition for NorCal vs SoCal

<ul><li><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/sbcarmt1/petition.html">http://www.petitiononline.com/sbcarmt1/petition.html</a</li></ul>
Old 04-12-2004, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

linky no worky
Old 04-12-2004, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You may want to come up with something to send to the SB chamber of commerce- That would have more

of an effect, because THEY probably do want you to come back to SB.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The local police do the same thing at Waterfest every...

year, and you know what, people have learned to have their plates on, roll their windows down, and shut the HID's off.
Not that I don't think it's foul of them to do that or anything, because I think it's real F-ed up, but being devil's advocate, just because it is a gigantic car show, doesn't mean that you are immune to any of the normal traffic laws and rules that apply.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

good point
Old 04-12-2004, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That doesn't give them grounds to perform an organized prosecution.

As I stated in my post below, they have broken the spirit of the law by enforcing it in a authoritarian and focused manner. This represents more their need for money than their need to uphold justice.

Of course we can all roll in with license plates, rolled down windows and xenons off. However, the amount of effort put into penalizing those infractions does not correlate to the safety afforded the general public by performing such prosecution.

I believe in following the law, but I do not believe in laying idly by when the law is wrong.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In 02 at Waterfest - ALOT of people were driving like idiots as well

that simply didn't happen here and if it did - only one or two isolated incidents. What I think pisses alot of people off is watching OTHER cars with similar modifications - SUV's with FULL dark tint - and other REAL traffic violations such as the running of a redlight - be ignored while focusing their effort on show participants.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Agreed. It was an abuse of authority [extreme prejudice].

These "highly trained" officers were focussed on the patrons vehicles leaving the showgrounds and ignoring other violations taking place right in front of them (I witnessed one myself). (And let us not ignore what other "illegal" traffic laws, and other crimes, were being committed while this "effort" of targeting patrons of the car show was taking place). So while window tint and no front plates seemed to be the order of the day and their intent behind this execution of justice, other violations (far more dangerous to public safety) were being committed in front of them and ignored. That to me is truly "ignorance of the law".

I guess the ticket "feeding frenzy" which ensued was too much for their senses, what with all of these vehicles for them to pick from. The authorities were basically reasoning that no front plates and window tint was a far greater offense/concern to the traffic laws/public safety, then other vehicles (not necessarily associated with the show) that were running red lights,.. etc. That to me is the worse of the two. Just because it is known that vehicles with illegal mods will be in attendance, does not necessitate the act of overly enforcing the law by assigning more officers to it, when they are most likely needed elsewhere.

Meanwhile, at the 911 operators station; <i>"We're sorry. But due to more critical circumstances, our officers are currently busy raking up traffic tickets for window tint and no front plate violations".</i>
Old 04-12-2004, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well it sounds to me like you guys are petitioning the ....

wrong issue then. A few words of advice. If you want your petition to be successful, then maybe the wording of it should focus a little less on the "innocent" show participants, and a little more on some specific incidents that you witnessed where the police just stood idly by and watched. You're gonna get nowhere arguing the tickets for tints and no plates, but if you focus more on the police's negligence of other laws that were broken, then you may get someone's attention. Of course, to do this though, you'll need to have some specific, doecumented examples.
From an outsiders view (and don't hate me here because I'm just telling you what it looks like), it just sounds like you're all pi$$ed because you got tickets. Ask yourself, what do you REALLY want to accomplish by making this petition, and then focus on that.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another individual did the petition - I didn't get a ticket either, but.........

I did drive right by a cop without a front license plate and didn't get stopped. My car is stock except for a chip. I agree with you about the issues - but unfortunately I didn't do the petition. I've covered many many shows and have never seen this happen - with lots of police in attendance.

Quick Reply: SBPD Petition for NorCal vs SoCal