A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Seeking car wash in Boston for new avant...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 06:28 AM
MP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seeking car wash in Boston for new avant...

Need a new car wash for my 02 Avant. I used to bring my 99.5 sedan to a detailer across from my office in Newton, but he just moved to Cambridge.

Scrub-a-dub and Allston are ok, but you end up with wax on the glass even if you specify no wax. Plus, I'm not fond of the recirculated water... My favorite wash is Ernie's touchless wash in Worcester and Spencer - but I don't get out that way much.

Ergo, looking for a convenient self-serve near Boston.

I know about the Lechemere self serve washes in the Cambridge area, and the Scrub-a-Dub self serve in Allston (or is it Brighton?). Are there any other decent car washes in the Boston area?

How about one of those gas-station washes with high pressure water and no brushes?

Any location within 20 mins of Boston would be great.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting my car next week, in the same dilema...upon pick-up next week I'll

be asking my dealer if I can use there car wash set up occasionally. All I need is a hose and shaded area, which I think they should have (Clair in W. Roxbury) Living in an apartment complex is a pain when it comes to car washing. The scrub a dub in Allston uses recycled water. I always get a film of wax/soap/grease (whatever it is) after washing my car there. Could be useful in the winter though for a quick underbody/salt rinse (only using the high pressure water rinse). I remember going to a gas station (think it was a mobile) along the route going to Wellsely College that has a touchless car wash. My buddy always washed his black c-class there with great results...good luck
Old 03-06-2002, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Seeking car wash in Boston for new avant...

Allston Car Wash is still the best place to go. As for self-service bays, the only ones I know of are the ones you've mentioned (the S&D in Brighton next to the CompUSA) and a set of Lechmere self-bays off of Porter Sq. in Cambridge. I believe there's also a nice touchless place in Westford, f you ever get out there (which you should...rts 4/225 are a great drive).
Old 03-06-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Some thoughts

I live on the Newton/Watertown line and work in Boston, so here's some thoughts on car washes.

First off, I personally would not bring my car through an automatic car wash, but I understand everyone is different, so here is what I have to say based on the limited knowledge I have of automatic car washes.

Allston Car wash (next to the Mobil station) is pretty decent from what I hear. They are always busy and I believe they have a detailing crew as well as the automatic wash.

I am fortunate enough to have a driveway and a hose, but I go to Randy's Car was on Arsenal Street in Watertown, near the Watertown Mall. I only use the bays there for water and the high pressure hose every other wash. I bring my own buckets/supplies, etc. The water there is OK, but as long as you rinse the crap out of the car and dry it well, you should be OK. They have an automatic car was as well that seems to get the cars fairly clean.

Let me know if you're interested in meeting up there once you get your car, maybe I can give you some detailing tips as I detailed cars in the past for 9 years.

Good luck!!

Frank
'02 A4 1.8TQMS Silver/Ebony
Old 03-06-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Self-serve in Waltham...

I've been mostly washing mine in my driveway, since the weather has been so warm. But I have used the self-serve bays on Lexington St. in Waltham, bringing my own wash mitt and drying cloth, or just to give it a quick hose down if it's really dirty.

I don't remember the name, but if you take the Totten Pond Rd. exit and head east you'll hit Lexington St. at the light at the bottom of the hill. Make a soft (as opposed to hard) right and the wash will be on your left after a half mile or so. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2002, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Allston Mobile near Sports Depot...who else is around there anyway?
Old 03-06-2002, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Good info...

I live in the Boston area as well. There is a touchless wash in Woburn and it also has 2 or 3 self service bays. It's a Mobile station between Woburn center and Winchester center on Main St. I'm a bit hesitent to use it on my new car though. I'd like to take the self washing and detailing route. I'm a newbie as far as detailing is concerned but I have to jump in sometime

Anyway if any Boston area folks are going to meet up post it on the board. I'd love to meet and get some detailing tips
Old 03-06-2002, 10:00 AM

Muzi Wash World in Needham does a good job.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:34 AM
DRG

Default The Cambridge Lechmere car washes ARE w/in 20 minutes of Boston....

Indeed, the one just north of the Galleria is a doable walk from much of Boston.

There's another on Somerville Ave. right by Porter Square, also very close in to Boston.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:46 AM
MP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are they touchless? self serve?

Quick Reply: Seeking car wash in Boston for new avant...