A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

It seems the SUV drivers are having issues these days. Seems to me Audi is an excellent alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 06:13 AM
DCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killing the environment?

Please. I'm probably not the best person for this but visit the car lounge at vwvortex for someone who can show you just how much an effect SUVs actually have on the environment.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:18 AM

Default I edited that post to better reflect my personal views

I don't give a rat's ****. I'm a conservative republican, and I think "global warming" is more likely a bunch of hooey and/or something put into effect more through natural causes than human error.

You don't have to tell me. Environmentalists are neo-hippie idiots.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I'm going from and explorer to an A4. there are certain thigns a sedan just doesn't have.. (m0re)

I am in college, so going back and forth from my college dorm or apt to home I needed a lot of space to carry all my crap. An suv was needed her, plus the snow advantagge, I used to ski every weekend, granted the a4 has quattro but an explorer is higher up, more ground clerance. However, this said, Im sure im going to love my a4, but there is always at least one SUV in our garage.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:37 AM

Default I thought growing up meant being responsible??? Global warming, pollution, a blatent waste of

natural resources, drilling in sensitive areas, political aspects of feeding our gas guzzling thirst, effect of shipping all our dollars to the oil export countries, are all too real penalties so mom can drive her freaking kids to soccer practice in a 3 ton goliath. It is just not right and shows total lack of concern for any one, or any thing, here or abroad. Just cause you can afford to be so wasteful does not undo all the negatives or make it acceptable. There are sooo many reasons to conserve that it is unbelievable how many SUVs are on the road.
5,000 or 10,000 square foot homes are there own problems. thank god every US citizen does not feel it is there god given right to live in one. Too many of the masses drive SUV's without any thought as to the damage they are causing and the effect on their kids and grand kids lives. I am sure that 50 years from now people will be shaking their heads and wonder how we could have been so stupid. Our fleet gets the same mpg as it did 30 years ago. It's completely insane. Not only that, but did you know that your biz gets a tax break for buying a 3 ton vehicle? It was meant for working contractors but is used by every Land Cruiser, Navigator, H2 bought by a business.... Some energy policy!
Old 01-10-2003, 06:40 AM

Good! The "issues" they are having are a bare fraction of the issues they are creating!
Old 01-10-2003, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What a load of Bollox - many SUV drivers do it out of fear and insecurity.

Lack of vehicular knowledge aften results in an unwise vehicle purchase.
If this wasn't the case, Grand Ams would no longer be manufactured (amongst others).
Old 01-10-2003, 07:22 AM

Default I drove Escape and Pilot and looked at Explorer, Durango, Highlander before choosing A4 Avant

The Escape was pretty nice actually - good awd system (I tested it in the snow) and nice handling. But it's mpg stinks and it has a small gas tank. With my commute, I'd be filling up almost twice a week. Explorer and Durango mpg are even worse. I drive a lot of miles, so mpg is important.

Highlander was nice but much more expensive - in NY State you have to get a $3000 option package. Pilot drove crappy. No road feel at all. Both had better mpg than Explorer, but still significantly worse than A4.

A4 also has a great feature set standard, and it ended up costing me only slightly more than a "comparably" equipped Escape, less than a comparable Explorer.

Also, I think the A4's side curtain airbags are a particularly nice feature, and they're hard to get on lesser vehicles. The side curtain should prevent or minimize a fair number of serious head injuries.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well put. Sometimes I wish gasoline was $5/gal here so they would disappear.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:10 AM

Same here - last car was a leased 2000 Durango. Can't believe I drove that for 3 years.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:43 AM
DCS

yeah, there's a lot of bad SUV drivers, but I see many bad car/van/18-wheeler drivers etc... :\

Quick Reply: It seems the SUV drivers are having issues these days. Seems to me Audi is an excellent alternative