A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Shake/vibration under acceleration 45-60 mph (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shake/vibration under acceleration 45-60 mph (long)

Completely stock '02 A4 1.8T quattro, tiptronic- 16K miles. 17" OE upgrade Audi 5-spoke alloy w/ OE low profile Continental tires.

I have searched the A4 Forum for similar posts, and find my problem to be unique.

I am experiencing a body "shake" or "wobble", felt only under acceleration from 45 to 60 mph. More pronounced in accelerating in cornering. I feel it most through the accelerator pedal, leg against the center tunnel, etc. I do NOT feel it through the steering column. It seems to be centered on the passenger side, more front. It also seems worse with a 2nd passenger in the car.

I took it to AUDI, and they said the problem was 2 bent passenger side rims. I was dubious, but I found unused exact OE matching replacements on Ebay, and brought them to Strauss for proper installation. On inspecting the old wheels, the tech said they appeared fine, and even checked for true/out-of-round, and he said there was a little hop but wouldn't have caused my problem. He also checked allignment and that was OK. He put on the new wheels anyway, and sure enough, I am still experiencing the problem, though is VERY SLIGHTLY reduced.

One other thing that may, or may not be related: At idle, but in drive, I experience a rather harsh engine vibration, rpm's just under 1k. At idle, in park, it runs very smoothly. Also, the only invasive engine work it's had was a recent oil leak fixed by replacing the camshaft seals.

I would like to bring the car back to AUDI to get this corrected, but wanted feedback from you all, so perhaps I can guide them in a solution.

Thanks for any help you can give.