A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Shattered rear Avant window - conclusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shattered rear Avant window - conclusion

Last week, I posted that the rear window in my wife's '02 A4 Avant 1.8T spontaneously shattered after a short trip during just-below-freezing temperatures. I said I'd post a follow-up, so here it is...

I called my dealer the following morning after they opened. They told me to call a local glass company and have them fix it. I questioned them, thinking this should be a warranty fix, because nothing impacted the window to cause it to shatter. My service advisor didn't believe the window would've shattered unless something hit it, but suggested I call AoA and discuss it with them.

To be brief, AoA advised having the car towed to the dealer via roadside assistance to make a determination. That's what I did. My dealer ordered a glass as soon as the car arrived (knowing it would have to fixed no matter who paid for it). This was on a Thursday. The glass arrived the following Wednesday, and the dealer subcontracted the installation to a glass installer, who did the work the following day. My service advisor called that afternoon to tell me the car was ready, and that Audi had decided to cover it under warranty. We got the car back, and everything looks great, although I have heard a piece or two of glass rattling around in the tailgate when I open and close it. It's not an annoyance, but I may take the interior trim off and see if I can remove it eventually.

Funny story: The flatbed that came to take the car away did so while there were a few inches of snow/sleet on the ground. There was likewise slush all over the flatbed. When the driver tried to pull the car up on the flatbed with the truck's winch, the car started sliding sideways on the slush (as the tow-hook on our cars is offset from the center). He let it back down, looked at me for a second, and asked, "This is Quattro, right?" (Yep.) So, in the car he hopped, and drove the car right up on the flat-bed, no problem! Gotta love Quattro!

My dealer is Leith Audi in Cary, NC. I've used them for the 10k and 20k mile service, as well as a few other small issues. Their service department has been far and away the most competent service department I have ever dealt with, and their service has, in every case but one (small complaint), been perfect.

Take care,
Dave
Old 03-05-2004, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good to hear!
Old 03-05-2004, 08:37 AM

Neat, I like the flat-bed story.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:46 AM

Default glad everything worked out... warning:

I remember a similar post with a shatter window - however glass fragments got caught in the rear latch, which caused further problems.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto! Great story with a happy ending!
Old 03-05-2004, 02:17 PM

Default My rear window shattered in my '03 Avant over Christmas

Glass was backordered in Germany for 2 weeks, but my dealer replaced it under warranty without question.

Glad yours turned out for the best.