A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

This should be fun: Question about chipping 1.8T B6s. Are chips the suck in this car or what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default there has been a couple instances where the programming wouldn't take and I know of one

where the uploaded software was lost...not trial. just stopped on the owner.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'd check out AMS and thank you...

they seem to care more about driveablility than sheer top HP number.

GIAC/REVO/APR have modes to switch back to stock if that is wanted..

good to see you here, I have learned MANY things from you(detailing), hope we can return the fav!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can only think of two off-hand..

Cadence with a CVT 1.8T and a GIAC? chip had a best time of 15.3. Carl, don't remember the full screen name, had a best of 14.8 (he seems to think there is more in the car) with Stage II APR, but he was running the race program. I'd expect in the low 15's on pump.

Mike
Old 08-19-2003, 05:38 PM

mine didnt load..still pissed bout it
Old 08-19-2003, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default MTM stage 2 since new and racing the car in Solo 1 and 2 events with absolutely no problems....

BTW, the clutch on the B6 is the weak point. With the more powerful chips the clutch will slip on hard lunches. You will also get drive train vibrations in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear if you lug the engine. Example, you are in 5th gear at about 2700 rpm and you step on the gas the car will accelerate because it as plenty of torque but between 2700 and 3000 rpm you will feel/hear a hum or vibration from the drive train. According to people in the know this is only an annoyance and no mechanical failure will occur. Three ways to resolve the problem, one, downshift, two, ask the programmer to derate your chip and three you could always buy the MTM clutch kit like I did to get rid of the problem. Yes MTM is expensive, but c'est la vie, there stuff works.

BTW, it as been a very slow and still an ongoing problem developing the 1.8t engine mounted in the B6. The max power you will see up to now is between 215 and maybe 230 hp depending on whos dyno you want to believe. You hear all kinds of roumours out there that more power is coming but at this stage I would be very worried about long term reability. The problem is that the 1.8t in the B6 is a newer version of that engine and is not easily as tuned as the older 1.8ts in the B5s, TTs and even Golf or Jettas. Audi certified this new engine under the ULEV norm and is subtantially different in design( pistons, fuel delivery. ect)from the previous motors that were certified only under the LEV norms.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:20 PM

This was the setup I had on my B5 1.8T, ran 30k chipped miles like a champ
Old 08-19-2003, 08:13 PM

Default fastest posted timeslip ---> 14.78

(see my pic poster) first time at the track.

i think the car has another tenth in it...maybe two on a really good day. (on 100 octane)

on pump the car's probably good for 15 flat. when the weather gets cooler in houston, i'll go back to the track and try for a lower ET and also maybe make a few passes on the 93 octane program.

don't know how much HP the car actually has...but the 1/4 mile times i ran are pretty similar to those in the B5 camp with similar mods.

and BTW, i have ~10K miles on my APR chip and have had no problems. i did experience the drivetrain shudder or whatever you want to call it, but it was greatly minimized by installing NGK copper plugs.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You said that your shudder was greatly minimized by installing NGK copper plugs...

I had the same effect in my car. I felt that it was due to the car producing less power. Why else would it not do it? I felt that my car pulled less on the highway in the higher gears. I put my stock plugs back and the car felt faster. My wife even noticed it from the passanger seat. I didn't even tell her I worked on it because she lectures me about it. But the day after I installed them she said, do you have your chip off, (EMCS) it feels slower!? I didn't, and that conviced me I wasn't crazy.

just my 2 cents.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:59 PM

Default eri(k) where you been? coming to the gtg at kk on the 4th of sept?

same place as usual
Old 08-20-2003, 06:20 AM

Blasted...I'll be away that week.

Quick Reply: This should be fun: Question about chipping 1.8T B6s. Are chips the suck in this car or what?