A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Is Sirius in bad financial shape?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is Sirius in bad financial shape?

I was told they are about to go out of business.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh no, not again.......

Unless you're an investor what do you care?

1) There are 3 satellites up in the air broadcasting music with a proven technology (they've been up there for well over a year)

2) It would be totally crazy to let these satellites go to waste.

So even if Sirius is going under (I am not saying they are) there will be someone else who will want to use these satellites with their proprietary technology to stream music to end users. And I personally don't care who operates these satellites as long as they provide commercial free music for $12.95 a month for my car. Investors are not stupid to let it all go to waste.

I have heard people writing Sirius off at least 5 times the last year, it has yet to happen.

Now for the facts:

- Sirius needs about 1 million less customers (2 million versus 3 million) than XM to break even. So even though XM has mor subscribers than Sirius they're still losing money.

- XM has GM as their main car manufacturer ally. Sirius has Chrysler and Ford. All 3 German manufacturers (Audi,BMW,Mercedes) offer Sirius, only Audi offers both Sirius and XM.

- Sirius has a lot better system, they don't have to rely on terrestial repeaters so much, unlike XM, so their infrastructure will be cheaper in the long run.

It's the OEM market where satellite radio will make it or break it. The aftermarket units are for early adopters and people who want decent stereo in their cars. For the mass market it needs to come with the car standard. And IMHO Sirius has a lot better business ties with manufacturers than XM.

So unless you're an investor and you're worrying about your investment, I would not care at all about how sirius is doing. Just go and get a tuner and enjoy the commercial free music they provide!

But here is the Yahoo stock chart, knock yourself out:
<A HREF="http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=siri&t=1y&c=">http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=siri&amp;t=1y&amp;c=</A>

You can see that Sirius is stronger than ever and trades at an all time high at the moment.

So go and do your own research before you start stirring the pot!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pal, you need a new nick.... TheSiriusGuy :-)