A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

So, has any one been using Toluene or Xylene??? Curious to know if

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, has any one been using Toluene or Xylene??? Curious to know if

1) anyone has run into any problems.
2) you feel any gains (chipped or not)
3) you would recommend it to anyone else.

Thinking about trying some (on a car w/o oxygen sensors or cats) but if it works well, I might dump some in my Audi. Feedback please....

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

nice tail lights - are those hellas? have the same on mine. bhvdr has skills with toulene...
Old 04-27-2004, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Unless your car is specifically programmed to take advantage of higher octane, its a waste of money.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Disagree, in small displacement turbo engines like ours...

The timing and boost is retarded on a regular basis due to heat soak, increased intake temperatures, and protection against pinging. Running Toluene or Xylene provides the extra octane to guard agains pinging an results in higher horsepower numbers. I use it on race weekends and have found it to provide a bit more consistent performance. Cheers! Mike<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/64381.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/64381.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-27-2004, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd try a 20% to 40% mix. I have been impressed with it's performance and feel it is safer than...

race gas due to the inherent pureness of both Toluene and Kylene. If you are planning on using it often, I might try adding the lubricator from the article in my post below. I would say that I have felt better performance with it and less performance loss. I use it for race weekends about once a month. Cheers! Mike
Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In part, it's HOW it burns, not just octane rating.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're welcome to disagree, but my statement is true...

I was answering the question in more general terms since he was asking about an unspecified car, and possibly his A4.

You bring up an excellent point though for the 1.8T - under racing conditions is easy to believe that additional octane would be beneficial due to the extreme temberatures involved.

I find it a little hard to believe that Audi would design an engine that retards timing and boost on a "constant" basis, meaning under normal conditions. I'm not a 1.8T owner, so I cant prove that one way or the other.

Under normal (non race) conditions though, race gas will preform just like premium because the stock ECU isnt programmed to take advantage of the extra octane.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:25 AM

thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope, still wrong. These cars get heat soaked with the quickness. Unfortunately that is the case...

even under normal driving conditions in hot weather. That is the case and it has been documented as such since the 1.8T A4 came into existence. Cheers! Mike
Old 04-27-2004, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're completely missing the point. Try reading my reply again...

I'm not disputing your comments about heat soak on the 1.8T.

What I'm saying is that (HEAT SOAK ISSUES ASIDE) cars that are not programmed to take advantage of extra octane, will not run any differently on race fuel. Period.

Try reading this, maybe you'll understand the facts I'm trying to point out.<ul><li><a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&amp;article_id=3604&amp;p age_number=1">Regular or Premium?</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: So, has any one been using Toluene or Xylene??? Curious to know if