A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Speeding ticket story...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket story...

...so, I was headed westbound on I-90 (Massachusetts Turnpike) out of Boston on Thursday night heading home to visit the family in upstate New York. Alone with my trusty Valentine One (which I have had less than a week) it was us against the world. In between the traffic and torrential downpours that evening, I finally got some breathing room and set the cruise control at 85 mph. It could not have been 60 seconds later that the V1 lit up and sounded. As I looked up, it took a second to register, I noted that I had just been tagged by the eager laser gun of one of Massachusetts finest. As I looked up and to the right, I saw him start to pull out. Damn!

85 in a 65 from 1100 feet on LIDAR. $175.00 fine. Whatever, not my first and surely not my last. Just very coincidental considering I just scored my very first radar detector, a V1 no less. It's not the V1's fault - nothing stops laser. I live in RI and to the best of my knowledge there is no reciprocity between MA and RI (I got a ticket in MA in December of 2000 and it did not go on my RI record). Does anyone know if that's still the case as I heard this was changing?

Oh well, boo hoo, figured I'd share this with you. Didn't stop me - made the 325 mile trip in under 4 hours anyway...
Old 07-02-2002, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

D'oh! That sucks Brian.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:40 AM

I mean, talk about Murphy's Law!
Old 07-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what crummy luck! Is it common to ticket for an 85/65?

Out here, the chp and local police would be writing tickets 24/7, as most seem to drive the highways @ 80+
Old 07-02-2002, 11:52 AM

Default I've always referred to the MA Pike as the "Massachusetts Grand National Speedway".

It seemingly has no speed limit. I've blown past the fuzz at well over 80 with no problems. It may have been a bored cop or an end of the month quota type thing.

I dunno?
Old 07-02-2002, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got a ticket on Sept. 10th 2001 in VA but I live in TX. Never paid it. Is that bad?
Old 07-02-2002, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not if you don't plan on driving in VA anytime soon.

Being that far away, I doubt they have any sort of reciprocity between the 2 states.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You think you got away with it, but...

same thing happened to me long time ago... got a ticket in Mississippi and didnt pay it since I live in Florida... about a year later.. my insurance agent calls.. says my license has been suspended.. I had to call the DMV get the address of the Mississippi court house and mail them a money order (I was lucky to not get fines added)... No points or anything, but still had to pay tell them you"lost the ticket" if anything happens. just hope that the reecord gets lost in VA courts, but I doubt it... wait about a year or so.. then you might be in the clear...
AudiWorld Super User

Default I got a ticket in Maryland, and as soon as the court date came and went

I got a notice from NJ DMV threatening to suspend my license because I failed to appear in court. I went back to Maryland, fought the ticket and won because of a technicality. Check it out:

I was heading to Va. Beach from NJ on Rt. 13S. I was travelling with a pack of cars for about a 20 mile stretch, in my girlfriends red celica. No radar detector. Suddenly I see a state trooper camped out on the left side of the road. The pack hits the breaks. I was in the left lane with two other cars on the right of me. I'm thinking to myself either he's gonna let us all go or pull us all over, which is not uncommon given the speed traps I've seen in Maryland. He pulls out, passes the other cars and pulls me over and lets the others go!!!! I wasn't the first or the last in the pack!! So it had to be the red car. I give him all of the paper work, he writes the ticket and I'm on my way. My girlfriend looks at the ticket and says "Hey!! He wrote on this ticket that you were driving a 1996 Honda Civic!" We were in a 2001 Toyota Celica. Right at that moment I knew I was coming back to Maryland to fight this ticket.

When I get to court, I plead not guilty. The Trooper says all of the crap that they all read from some script, stating that he clocked me with LIDAR doing 78 in a 55. Then the judge gave me the opportunity to cross examine him, at which point I asked him does he remember my case in particular given all of the tickets I'm sure he has written since my incident. He says he has notes to refresh his memory. I asked him what vehicle was I driving, he looks at his notes and states a civic. I said thats incorrect, I was driving a Toyota Celica. The judge threw it out on the spot!!
AudiWorld Member

Default This is bad most states belong to the "licence compact"...

I believe that the points and most importantly the bench warrant for your arrest are applied to as if you got the ticket in your state.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket story...