A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Staggered Offset help please, 19x8 wheels, looking for 1"front lip 2.5" rear lip thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's why staggered setups are silly on a front-heavy, AWD car like ours...

A4s already understeer pretty badly from the factory. If you increase the rear tires' contact patch without proportionally increasing the front contact patch, you've just increased the rear grip without increasing the front- i.e., you just made the car understeer even worse. Staggered setups are only really appropriate on RWD cars, or AWD cars with a significant rear weight/drive bias, like Porsches & Lamborghinis.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Toby. Big 2nd..
Old 03-23-2005, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I need some clarification...

if you have a true staggered setup, you have to run a smaller offset in the rear in order to get a wider lip, this results in a wider wheel stance in the rear than in the front...which in turn exacerbates our already pretty bad understeer...

remember, the lower the offset #, the farther pushed out from the car the wheel will be, ie. a 35mm offset provides a wider stance than a 40mm offset

you can get an offset "look" while still maintaining equal distance wheel stances front and rear, and it is done using spacers....if you want a larger lip in the rear than in the front, then you need to run a lower offset in the rear...in order to make the fronts have the same stance width, you need to run a spacer that is equal to the difference in the offset between the rears and front
(size spacer to use in front=fr.offset(mm)-rear offset(mm))

this setup maitains equal spacing front and rear, but gives you a staggered look b/c of different lip sizes...

it has also been stated many times that running a TRUE staggered setup on quattro is no good for the awd system, but people still do it, and i cant say if it's true or not that it's bad as i've yet to see or hear of any awd system failures due to running a TRUE staggered setup
Old 03-23-2005, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thanks for the explanation....

now, how badly would you say it would cause your car to understeer more?

it is really tempting....to a point where i may even consider getting a seperate rim/tire set that wouldnt be staggered.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good god man, are you not reading? you can get the look w/o hurting handling
Old 03-23-2005, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default okay, so playing the offset + spacer game to obtain an equal stance on the front and rear, would

enable me to run a "staggered look" setup without the additional understeer and avoiding <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/797587.phtml">THIS&gt;</a>

thankyou for your help
Old 03-23-2005, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I understand now, i just finished reading your other post too

again, sleeping disorder, lol, i understand now. and again, thankyou
Old 03-23-2005, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default exactly, if i were you this is what i would do...

call dpe, tell them what wheel you want and in what size (iirc, you want 19) then ask them what width and offset they recommend to get whatever size lips you are goin for front and rear...remember that the larger the lip, the lower the offset and more pushed out it will be, so i would think a 32mm offset is probably as low you could go without major rubbing issues on an 8.5" wide wheel..

after they tell you what offsets the fronts will be and what offset the rears will be, go hunting for spacers (h&amp;r, mtm, etc.) that are equal to the diff. between fr offset and rear
Old 03-23-2005, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 03-23-2005, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default sounds good, i'm going to do that in a couple hours

thankyou again, you guys are awsome.

Quick Reply: Staggered Offset help please, 19x8 wheels, looking for 1"front lip 2.5" rear lip thanks in advance!