A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Steering Vibration, Out of Round Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Vibration, Out of Round Tire?

Just got some new tires, Cooper Zeon Sport A/S, but now I have a pretty prominent vibration in the wheel at about 70mph. It wasn't there at all with my old tires. I've been back to get them balanced again, but the vibration is still there.

Done some research here and other places and found that the tires might be out of round? If so, what is a easy way to check that on my own. I had the tire shop refund the "tire protection" for the tires as I believed that they could not balance them correctly in the first place, so if I head back there, I need to be pretty confident that the tires are bad.

Also, anyone here bought Cooper before? I had them for my old Jeep Wrangler and loved them, this is my first set of passenger tires. I remember reading that there is a 45 day trial period for them, is that true?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 11:21 AM

Default return them and get some fuzion tires

for low end ultra-summer tires they work well.

some tires are just defective and if they dont have the super nice (lexus dealers have them) hunter that has a mini dyno to detect faulty tires or bent rims then you'll never get it right
Old 07-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I would try another shop, look for road force balancing. The cheap tires may >

not have high quality control like a more expensive one would.
You get what you pay for.
I have also had many bad experiences with shops just not knowing how to balance a wheel properly.
Or the balancing machine was off.

I bring it to another place, they balance it, tell me it was off 1oz. and vibration gone.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Coopers? Yuk..

Not sure I'd ever put them on a Car - Trailer or truck maybe....

My new Kuhmos do similar - only they shake when cold. Once they warm up, they are fine. Not a great tire, but a great deal. The dealer replaced them once, but the new ones do it too.

Like the other comment, try a different tire balancer or better yet, another tire. Michelen, Dunlops, Yolohama etc all make very good tires for Audi.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Update

Just updating for anyone that is searching the forum.

Turns out that they weren't balanced properly...if anyone is in the military here, don't bother with the AAFES shops. You can get tires for a good price (no tax) but the labor leaves something to be desired. Anyway, took them to another shop that match balanced them, and they ride like butter. Very nice tires once they are mounted properly.