A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Stereo gurus

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo gurus

Hello,
First off, I just want to thank everyone that responded to this thread that I started earlier this year:

https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/916708.phtml

Just to get you up to speed, this is a 2003 1.8T B6 that originally came with the non-Bose system. I installed an Alpine 9856 along with the iPod controller (full speed) & have really been enjoying that. The kit that we used for the dash looks really clean & not out of place at all (it even gives me a little space under the head unit for sunglasses & my cell phone). Anyway, I've been very happy with this setup.

So now I want to take it to the next level by changing the front speakers & adding a sub. My husband built a custom sealed enclosure for a sub that is built into the driver's side panel in the trunk (the recessed area on that side to the rear is where he built it into). Since the rear speakers are independently amped, I'm thinking of leaving those alone since they're really just for fill anyway. I'd like to use a 4 channel amp to power new front components & bridging the rear 2 channels for the sub, since that will make this a 1-amp system. I'm thinking of using a Rockford Fosgate P8004 to do this since power requirements for the sub that I'm using force me to look for an amp that will supply at least 350w rms when bridged. That's been hard to find in a 4-channel amp. So here are my questions:

1. By using that amp, am I running the risk of putting too much load on my electrical system? Keep in mind that it will be a one amp system (not sure if that makes a difference, I've never done a system in a car before this one). I've read enough on audio forums about people having electrical problems (like lights dimming) because they've got too many amps or one that's too powerful/demanding. Thoughts?

2. For the speakers in the front doors, it's my understanding that I'll need a bracket/adapter. Will this one work? I was thinking that if I buy brackets, that I could just sell the stock speakers. WOT? Should I just cut the stock speakers out & not worry about it?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J4f0EF9QN8Z/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=142SAT6&i=142SAT6

Any other things that I need to be aware of or tips that you can throw my way?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default #1. You'll be okay with the stock electrical system...

#2. I believe that it's best for speaker brackets to be made out of MDF.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: #1. You'll be okay with the stock electrical system...

hes right about the mdf and u might wanna look for a 5 channel amp u can bridge the front and backs to use on ur components and the 5th channel always pushes more power for the sub just make sure u find one with a 5th channel pushin the power u want id suggest alpine or ppi but then again i like to go high end on my sounds