A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Stuck with manual FWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CVT production is maxed out. Demand is high.

How long will you keep the car ? Buy or lease ?

The QTR makes a heavier although more balanced car. In bad weather, it is an excellent safety feature. If you plan to go over 265hp later, get QTR manual.

The FWD has a fluency in feedback that the QTR does not have. Some is the lightness, and some is the reduction in number of rotating parts. At anything less than 7/10ths, the FWD is a nicer car than a QTR. If driven hard, QTR is a must just for an extra measure of control.

Since you were ready to get FWD anyway, you must have dealt with the resale issue already. I am not sure CVT will change the mix. Certainly if you plan to sell it more than 5 or 6 years from now, resale difference will be minimal.

You need to ask yourself, " will I be happy with this car for however long I plan to keep it?" If the answer is no, then hold out for the right combo for you. At most it is a few months, when you will be driving this car every day for several years. On the other hand, have you driven the FWD 5 speed ? It may suprise you.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stuck with manual FWD

When I think of Audi I think Quattro. Without the Quattro something is missing. That is just my opinion. I haven't driven the front trak (front wheel drive) so I really cannot compare, but I do know that the quattro is amazing. You have to live with the car so get the one you will enjoy and not regret. In New England I don't know if any dealers even carry non quattro Audi's. In fact in my life I may have only seen one or two.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me, too....if it's not your heart's desire....walk away
Old 02-27-2002, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Stuck with manual FWD

I had a Gen1 '96 A4 manual FWD and I loved the car. It was different than a quattro but I'm a real fan of manual trans cars so I would have gone manual first, quattro second. Of course a manual with quattro would be the best senario but you weren't going to get quattro anyway. I think you'll enjoy the manual, I did.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you don't like it don't buy it. That is a lot of money to spend if you are not sure.

As for $500 over that is a rip. It should be $500 under, they screwed up not you.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

He was always going to get a FWD!!!!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:38 PM

Default Decision made: No Go on manual

Like everyone said it's a lot of money to spend on something I might not like to drive daily. Thanks everyone for your input and advice. It's a tug of war between my heart and my mind and my mind just won out. Hopefully there will be a CVT w/o sports package somewhere if not I might go with the Bimmer, Passat, or RSX. THanks mucho guys!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A very good dealer here in Pittsburgh has two 1.8T CVT cars on their lot.

One is Dolphin and the other is Silver. Are you close to PA?
Old 02-27-2002, 05:46 PM

I live in DC, so kind of. You remember if it had sport package?
Old 02-27-2002, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am not sure. *Edit* bad link.

Check the link below. The last 4 cars are 1.8T non Quattros with auto transmissions. They have to be CVT's because the Tip is not available on FWD cars. I am not sure if they have the sport package. Have your dealer do a dealer trade for one if you find one you want or you can make the drive to Pittsburgh and do the deal yourself. I can give a contact if you want.

*Edit* Ok, go to the link below and seach their new car inventory. You will find the cars I am talking about<ul><li><a href="http://www.sewickleycars.net">http://www.sewickleycars.net</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Stuck with manual FWD