A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Survey!!! Who has chipped their 2002 A4? Brand and experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey!!! Who has chipped their 2002 A4? Brand and experience?

GIAC here and love it. The car is perfect now. Highly recommend it.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:26 AM

Usage would also help - pure street use or planned track use
Old 04-30-2002, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default GIAC in mine

GIAC Chip. I've had it for 3 weeks with no problems. I have driven it pretty hard and the chip is really good in my opinion. The one thing that I do notice is the super soft engine mounts. If you shift kinda hard or sudden on/off throttle it is pretty evident. I spoke to GIAC and they said the soft engine mounts were why they had to tone down the chip a bit from 270 ft-lbs to 250 ft-lbs or something. However they are looking into a solution; stiffer snub mount I guess.

I'm not one to get into bickering or any thing, but the car has great power and I have had no problems and no ecu codes tripped. I'll see what APR has to offer when they release their stuff as well, but I am seriously turned off by them because of the was they insisted that there was a huge problem with the fuel system and that the chips out on the market were all unsafe. They first stated the car would need injuectors, and now all it needs is as FPR I think? GIAC said that even with the powerful alpha version, they were running rich at first!! They said that they had plenty of room to go on the fuel and if you look at the test data the egt is at a safe 1590.

In the end I'll go with what proves to be the best product no matter who makes it, but I just don't like the way certain tuners have been flapping their mouths with nothing to back it up and degrading other tuners.

Sorry for the babbling!

I just can't wait for the stiffer engine mounts!!
Old 04-30-2002, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: GIAC in mine

I totally believe you when you say the car is running fine, feels great, and all that good stuff. That's awesome! But my concern, is how do you really know if you are doing any long term damage... if APR is right? What if you end up with major problems a year or two from now? Hopefully you won't, but that is what makes a lot of us uneasy right now. Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2002, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GIAC has some great #'s, but id

like to see what else comes out on the market ..

waiting for APR ..

anyone got word on Neuspeed .. they seem to always have a medium of the road some what reliable type of chip for good prices ...
Old 04-30-2002, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: GIAC in mine

I thought of that too, and that's why I will go with the best product in 6 months or so, when all the crap has been sorted out. I'm also waiting for someone to come out with a good gauge mount so I can run boost and AFR gauges.

When I think of long term damage these come to mind:
1. Constantly running lean
2. Pinging or Detonation
3. too much power (driveline issues)
4. tripping ecu codes (emmisions, temps, etc.)

In VW's 1.8T the ecu was super sensitive and would go into limp mode for the slightest thing. I would bet that audi's system would go into limp mode if there were any serious issues too. I think I read that Brett from APR said that limp mode would occur if the fuel problem surfaced.

Anyway, none of these things have happend, so I can't see that I would be causing any long term damage. But I am still being careful right now, especially until I get some gauges, and waiting to see what GIAC and APR do next.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:30 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Do you have a vag tool?

Then we can see the torque output and calculate the hp.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:32 AM

FYI APR didn't say they needed injectors, they said a fuel upgrade is needed ...
Old 04-30-2002, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: FYI APR didn't say they needed injectors, they said a fuel upgrade is needed ...

I can see that this topic may end up just like all the other chip topics. My post was in reply to the "Survey". I gave my 2 cents. No more posts in this topic for me. If anying new comes up you can be sure I'll post it.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you have only had your chip for a few weeks. who knows what it will do in the long run

you will just have to see. GIAC is like anyone. They will tell you what it takes to sell you their chip. I find confidence in the fact that APR is taking a long time. APR is not stupid. They probably found something that legitamitly needs to be worked out before they go to market with their chip. You think APR is just slow. With their experience they could make a chip as fast as everyone. I think they are doing something right. Anr, those who has bought the early no hardware required versions may be in for a surprise. GOOD LUCK..........

Quick Reply: Survey!!! Who has chipped their 2002 A4? Brand and experience?