A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Sweet, fixed my CD changer Error 3!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweet, fixed my CD changer Error 3!

I had this crop up in like <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/975732.phtml">2006</a> but was unwilling to pull apart the deck at the time, and I had my iPod and Dension to keep me happy.

I wanted to play a disc someone gave me, and it finally pissed me off enough tonight to tackle it. Pulled out the deck, took off the two screws on the top cover, slit the scary "WARRANTY VOID" sticker, and popped off the top cover. Looked down, could see that CDs were out of alignment with the spindle in the centre. Took a screwdriver and forced them back into alignment, heard a nice satisfying click as they all dropped into place, and plugged it back in.

Power on, and hit CD. Everything lit up properly, and happiness ensued as I managed to eject all the CDs. Been popping them in and out of all slots to test it, and all seems well now.

Culprit, CD with a label that peeled in the heat and prevented another disc from moving. Misalignment, grinding, Error 3. I've had this problem for a year and a half, and it was a 15 minute fix in the end.

Very happy now
Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good to know for future reference.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

lol. 1.5 years? nice work on the fix.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Mike, do you have any links on how to take out the radio/changer?

I've had this error 3 on my wife's allroad for several months now. The dealer's fix is to replace the unit. I've reviewed several threads and yours seems to be the only one that doesn't involve replacing the unit. You've got nice instructions but I need to know how to get to the "pulled out the deck" portion of your story. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you'll need radio keys to get the unit out

The dealership will sell them. It's also possible to make your own if you're cheap/poor

I am assuming the allroad stereo comes out the same way as any other recent Audi stereo, with four keys inserted into the small horizontal slots arrayed around the faceplate.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/59261.phtml">Here's a thread showing radio removal in an A4</a></li></ul>
Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default help me 02 audi a4

How would get to it I the radio?

Originally Posted by nanotech
I had this crop up in like <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/975732.phtml">2006</a> but was unwilling to pull apart the deck at the time, and I had my iPod and Dension to keep me happy.

I wanted to play a disc someone gave me, and it finally pissed me off enough tonight to tackle it. Pulled out the deck, took off the two screws on the top cover, slit the scary "WARRANTY VOID" sticker, and popped off the top cover. Looked down, could see that CDs were out of alignment with the spindle in the centre. Took a screwdriver and forced them back into alignment, heard a nice satisfying click as they all dropped into place, and plugged it back in.

Power on, and hit CD. Everything lit up properly, and happiness ensued as I managed to eject all the CDs. Been popping them in and out of all slots to test it, and all seems well now.

Culprit, CD with a label that peeled in the heat and prevented another disc from moving. Misalignment, grinding, Error 3. I've had this problem for a year and a half, and it was a 15 minute fix in the end.

Very happy now