A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Telematics/V60 Phone

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telematics/V60 Phone

Hi all, I new here.

I just ordered a 1.8TQS w/sport Dolphin/Gray.

I want to get the integrated phone (for obvious reasons). After going round and round with the dealer and AoA about the details, I found the following:

To get the phone, you need the Telematics with Onstar, $895.

In addition, you need to buy the phone kit, $250.

Then you must buy their phone for $625 (V60c retails $399 in the local stores).

Then you get hooked up to your personal cell phone plan.

That is a damn expensive phone. Any one else gotten the same info or think this is out of line??

Old 04-10-2002, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's not what I heard...

If you're ordering a new A4, then the only way to get the phone is to get the Telematics package. When I had talked to my sales rep., he told me that the phone and phone kit will be available as a dealer installed package. This package is supposed to be available sometime around June/July. He didn't have any pricing information, but he was very confident that I can get the phone and kit without the need to order the Telematics option.

Of course, someone posted a scan of the Telematics brochure which doesn't really explain the phone kit option. Check the link for more info.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/17412.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/17412.phtml</a></li></ul>
Old 04-10-2002, 02:24 PM
Elder Member

Motorola V120 phone works too. Same internals. Much cheaper.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:55 PM

Default info on cell phone adaptor...more

kit that will work with your radio. it will mute when there is a call and the speaker will work out of your car speakers. not sure about mic. the connections are already there (not wired but there to be wired). if you hold down menu on your radio for 2sec+ you can program what speakers the phone can use (you have to press menu 2 or 3 times after SVC comes up). i call audi collections weekly (8884562834) to find out if they have it yet but haven't had much luck. i hear they are trying to make it universal for all phones that is the delay. i might be wrong. the first phone it will work for will probably be the V60 but you can buy it on your on and don't have to get telematics. i'll keep everyone posted if i hear more. i am calling again friday.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:09 PM

Default Re: info on cell phone adaptor...more

Sweet, the V60? I just replaced my old cell phone with that one. If you hear something, please post it to the site.

John
Old 04-10-2002, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the info! =) Keep us posted with what you know.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:48 PM

Default I just got the V60 (from AT&T for $190)....

I'm probably just going to buy the hands free kit from Motorola ($175) and just wire it into the car myself.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Thanks for the info! =) Keep us posted with what you know.

I talked in length with my dealer who got additional information at my request. I now have a 7 page info packet on the phone. Here is what I know about the issue:

This is what I got from AoA of the availability of the Onstar Telematics Package;

&gt; Production of Audi models with Onstar has begun for the A4 Sedan, A6
&gt; Sedan
&gt; and Avant, S6 Avant, allroad, A8 and S8. A4 Avant Telematics has a
&gt; delayed
&gt; introduction.
&gt;
&gt; For A4, Telematics will be combined with a four-spoke, multi-function
&gt; steering wheel. This multi-function steering wheel will include
&gt; Tiptronic
&gt; controls for those A4s equipped with automatic transmission. The MSRP
&gt; for
&gt; this option is $849.00 (including the steering wheel upgrade).
&gt;
&gt; Pricing for all models includes one year of Onstar Safe &amp; Sound
&gt; Package.
&gt; Dealers are now accepting orders.

The Telematics is not available on the TT, though, you can get it prewired to use the phone.

Onstar Telematics option is required to fully use the V60 in the most integrated way. It uses the same voice recognition and voice commands embedded in Onstar electronics to operate the V60 phone. It also uses the four-spoke steering wheel upgrade with the buttons and the Driver Information System 'DIS' display to scroll and access the phonebook in the phone. It automatically mutes the radio and uses the speakers.

Of course, for the phone to work with Onstar, you NEED to buy the Audi version of the V60 phone that comes with upgraded software and configured specifically for your carrier for $625 and the install kit for $250. The phone will be available soon (no date yet). Now these are dealer add on items and can be added later.

If you don't have Onstar Telematics, I not sure of the details but you at least give up the voice recognition and have to dial the phone manually. At this point I'm not sure if you can use a standard V60 phone.

The information packet says that they will have a retrofit kit available for previous A4s in the future but will probably be limited in functions without Onstar.

So to sum it up, to get the fully integrated phone (which is cool), you need to get the Onstar electronics ( no subscription required ) and the Audi version of the V60 for $1724 :-(

Old 04-11-2002, 08:01 AM

Default The V60t already has voice dialing built in.

The only thing that you miss thats really cool is the ability to see your phonebook and maybe even caller ID info in the dash display. I'm not sure its worth the extra money and if you ask me it's too much info while driving.

Do you have any pics or info on how the phone will actually mount in the car? Will it be something intergrated into the armrest?
Old 04-11-2002, 01:32 PM

Default Re: The V60t already has voice dialing built in.

I don't know all the limitations if you add the phone without the Telematics. Here is a statement, verbatim from the info packet my dealer gave me from AoA:

Please note one important point: In all models with telematics, the phone can be controlled by on-board voice recognition. To minimize driver distraction, no dialing functionality on the phone's keypad can be done. To assure this and to prevent damage to the phone by hte armrest lid, the phone cradle is designed so htat the V60 phone is forces closed.

The voice recognition system is include inside the vehicle. Even if a driver is not subscribed to Audi Telematics by Onstar, the voice recognition for dialing the digital phone will continue to function.

TT Models with factory telephone preparation:
Because all hardware is already included, all that is required to complete the preparation is the phone hang-up cup. Because the TT does not feature the voice recognition system, and therefore requires physical dialing, this phone cradle allows thge phone to be open. .....

Quick Reply: Telematics/V60 Phone