A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Test drove an RX-8 - review inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove an RX-8 - review inside

Okay, so I finally was convinced to go to the local Mazda dealership to test drive the RX-8.

Dunno if you guys have heard, but there was another horsepower over-estimation fiasco with Mazda (Miata being the other). This time, it comes in with 9 less hp than they advertised it. I think that means 238 instead of 247. Mazda realized they screwed up again (after dyno-ing several cars), and they are making it up to everyone who has purchased them with a $500 debit card and free maintenance for 4yr/50K miles (sound familiar to us Audi folk?)

=)

Anywaze, here's the review... for reference, my daily driver is my 2002 A4 1.8T quattro, chipped.

First of all, taking off from a standing start seemed rather anemic. There did not seem to be a lot of torque (and there isn't) ready for a conservative clutch drop launch. Apparently, I have been told that Mazda does their 0-60 runs by dropping the clutch at 8000 rpm. Riiight, like the sales dude is gonna appreciate that one.

I did manage to set off the "shift now, nutball" light and alert beep. I was taking a nice S-turn in 1st gear and I didn't want to upshift. The most amazing things about the engine are the linearity, smoothness, and predictability. The thing just revs forever and the car just goes faster. Nothing dramatic, just clean power with no fuss.

The suspension and weight distrib are very nice. Taut, but not too harsh... Solid and confidence inspiring in the corners...

I did not take it to its limits at all... but the steering was direct, not overboosted. I did notice that the shifter rotated in my hand a little. They went nutso with the triangle rotary motif... the shift **** is shaped like a rounded triangle.

Compared to my car, it seemed more cramped (claustrophobics need not apply), less refined, sportier...

I feel safer in the A4, not just because of AWD, but because of the craftsmanship and abundance of safety features. I swear the A4 spoils me, but I'm sure if I test drove a new S4 I would be in trouble. The 1.8T is a great engine, but it definitely takes more attention to drive right... and it wheezes out in the 5K rpm range. The rotary spins likes there is no tomorrow all the way past 8K rpm (I think redline was near 9K). Redline is where the nutball alert "light and beep" goes off.

One thing that stuck out in my mind... if I bought one, the design of the car would start to get stale rather quick. The understated-ness (if that is a word) of the Audi never gets old. It seems to age well. I would not say the RX-8 is gimmicky, but it is more so than the A4.

For roughly the same price as an A4, it offers thrills and the exclusivity of rotary power. Handles great, and is more practical than the RX-7 (but more tame).

If Infiniti ever brings over an AWD G35 coupe (Skyline??) that will be some serious competition for Audi.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:18 PM
JBM

Wait for the RX-7 Mazdaspeed Version Coming out soon badass.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:34 PM

now go out and test drive AWD Subaru WRX STi 300hp