A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Thinking about upgrading sound system and have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about upgrading sound system and have questions...

I have a non-Bose system and have been considering upgrading the speakers w/ MB Quart components and a sub. If I install a 4 channel amp for the components, do I need to run new wires to the door for the speakers? If not, do I just disconnect the wiring harness from the stock amp and tap the wires from the new amp into it instead?

I'm having a brain fart this morning, so your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you need to run new wire to get better sound quality
Old 05-17-2004, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes and no....

You can tap into the stock wires at the HU for the fronts and at the stock amp ine the trunk for the rears. That is how I did mine.

The stock wiring is actually pretty decent, I don't have any issues with mine, I run 4x50W RMS + 1x500W in my car.

For my install visit the <A HREF="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec82-1.shtml">tech article</A> I wrote.

You can also use your stock speakers as spacers, makes a pretty simple install.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Yes and no....

I searched the forums and also read your article (nice, btw), but I wasn't too clear on what to do. I'm retaining the factory head unit and want to add two amps -- 4 ch amp for components, and mono amp for sub.

Does the factory amp, amplify ALL the speakers in the car? It sounds like I can just splice into the factory wiring before it goes into the factory amp to get pre-amp signal, and then splice back into the factory wiring where it runs out of the factory amp. Is this correct? I'm trying to avoid having to take the dash apart and removing the HU.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's good to know some people actually search....

well if you want to retain your HU, you would need to get the line level output from your HU first to the rear. The rear speaker line levels are already routed there for the amp, but the fronts aren't. So you would need to run the front line levels to the trunk then splice into the rear speaker wires in the trunk for the speakers, and run speaker wires back to the HU where you can splice in for the front speaker wires.

I hope that makes sense....

If not, feel freel to IM me.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:53 AM

side note, check ebay for the mb quart, i just got 2 sets of components for a great price
Old 05-17-2004, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yup, that's where I purchased mine a couple years ago...

I bought the DSD216 6.5 components and some 6x9's for my previous car. I need to get another set of components, since I don't need the 6x9's any more.

Also, sometimes I wonder if they're the real deal since not much bass comes from them and they look like somewhat cheap construction compared to Boson Accoustics and the like. Maybe that's because they're lower end Quarts...not sure how much better the R, P, and Q series are.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: It's good to know some people actually search....

Starting to become clear as mud now! =) Maybe I need a diagram or something.

It sounds like you're implying that the front speakers are powered by the HU, while the rear and sub have an amp in the back. Is this right?
Sounds like I'll have to remove the HU and take apart the dash to complete this.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default got an AVI 12 sub that ill sell.....

brand new in the wraper and original box, never used
Old 05-17-2004, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Correct!

If you have non-bose (as I recall you said so), the front speakers are just running straight off the HU and the rears are ran off the amp in the trunk.

So you can tap into the front speaker wires at the HU (just like I did) and you will have to run the front line outs (they exist on the HU they just aren't ran to the back) to the rear for the new amp.

The sub you can just run off the rear rca-s as you feed them through the other amp (I assume your amp has a line out as well as a line in).

If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Quick Reply: Thinking about upgrading sound system and have questions...